[ SHOWGSD-L ] Newbies and Dogs

  • From: Jessica MacMillan <spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 15:14:51 -0600

I have been watching the various threads and here is what I see from a
different perspective. Coming from a different breed, getting into GSDs was an
eye opener. Although, I came across as a know-it-all in the beginning and got
blasted a couple of times I realized that I needed to put my other experiences
aside and treat my learning of the GSD as a novice person would - ask
questions, sit back and listen, talk to many breeders, not feel obligated to
one and absorb as much information as I possibly could (can). I needed to stop
acting like the successful breeder and instead, become the newbie...

After I changed my attitude, I found the breeders to be awesome to talk to and
ask questions of. I am not sure that Sara was being smug, but she is trying to
carry a logical, educated conversation. She's obviously done some research on
both the American-style show dogs and the Working dog lines. I cannot even
imagine being tugged on both sides. She asks good questions and the responses
for the most part have been very educational for the rest of us sitting on the
sidelines.. It also gives me a new perspective of how we should ALL be treating
new folks. Showing dogs is a dying sport and if we keep "assuming" everyone is
in it looking for ammunition, we are going to completely destroy ourselves and
our hobby that we love so much.

I also think her questions have provided interesting topics on the list.
Although I really enjoyed the historical stuff, it is also interesting to see
how breeders react to newbies and respond to their questions.

Re: temperaments and angulation - my dogs are not heavily angulated and I have
had lots of comments about the fact that they don't look like "other American
dogs". What does that tell you... We as dog show folks/breeders may not fault
all the angulation, but since there is no other breed built like the GSD, the
more angulation the rear, the more the public is going to notice it. No other
breed has that profile or carriage.. We are always going to have to "explain"
it. My Dalmatian friends all wanted to know too (and these include the
President of DCA and several breeder judges) about the sloping toplines and
rears.. They of course, could understand it when explained, but we really need
to watch what we say with the general public.. Make it easy.

Temperaments are my biggest groan, although they have gotten decidedly better
through the years - doubling does cause problems because it does get the dogs
wound up and they do often try to drag handlers out of the ring, can't stand
quietly at ringside or are screaming in crates. If doubling were done away with
at all-breeds, the appearance of the temperaments would be so much better..

JMHO and I am pretty sure man people will disagree with me :-)

BTW: Don't forget about the Facebook Stud Dog list.. I will be working on it
the next few evenings trying to get caught up. If you want to submit a dog,
email me :-). If you want to update your information, email me again :-)

Jessica MacMillan

No Frills Dog Bathing Service & Design
Paisley Dals (www.paisleydals.com)
& The Shepherd Girls (Simmie, CGC, TDI, TC, HIC & Pepper, HIC)
Member of: DCA, GSDCA & GTCDC
Blog: http://mylittleblogspot.myblogsite.com/
Manager of: The Dalmatian Stud Dog List on Facebook
The German Shepherd Stud Dog List on Facebook