[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Newbie Cost of Showing

  • From: Terry Cochran <fairway97045@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ParavelGS@xxxxxxxxxxx, showlist <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 12:43:43 -0800 (PST)

Very good advise about going to the local all breed one pointers. Trust me that
last point can be hard to come by. Been there and done that :0)
  Terry
ParavelGS@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
  "Ok,
I want all you experienced people to give an estimate either by experience or
what you think............
In order to show a quality bitch to her Championship...staying
local........without going all over the country..........with a top
handler...........
How much do you think it would cost....start to finish??
I have heard show entries are down, Majors are hard to come by, etc, etc,
etc....

Thank you all for your information on this subject."

This is a tough one to narrow down, the key is the quality of your bitch.
Instead of giving you a range of cost, because it can really vary, let me give
you a few tips to save money on showing your bitch.

1. Don't start showing her until she is mature enough and ready to win. Its
good to work with her as a puppy, take her to matches or ;handling classes so
she knows what to expect. You could even show her as a puppy, but I rarely
spend the money on a big name handler unless you are wanting that best puppy
award at the specialty show. But I'm trying to save you money. Some handlers
give a wonderful discount to show your puppy, its good to ask.
2. If you are using a top handler use that person's knowledge to pick your
shows. Don't bother spending the money showing to a judge that doesn't like
your dogs style. It may take longer calendar wise, but you will save money. Be
patient.
3. If the shows are small, and the big name handler isn't there, then use a
good junior or someone with a little less experience. Even if the entry is only
1 point, they add up, so its worth trying, especially if it isn't going to cost
you much to show.

I'm sure others can come up with ways to save money showing. I was really
fortunate with my last Champion that I had a good friend who was a top
"non-professional" that put most of the points on her, including her first win
a 4 pt major at 13 months of age. Sergio and Scott also showed her and Sergio
finished her with a 5 pt major, but I went to alot of local small shows for the
single points also. It really does pay to have a "strategy" when you have a
budget.

Sheri Chambers

POST is Copyrighted 2006. All material remains the property of the original

Sponsored Link

Degrees online in as fast as 1 Yr - MBA, Bachelor's, Master's, Associate -
Click now to apply