[ SHOWGSD-L ] New Owner Handler competitions

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2012 21:58:44 -0500

January...but for those of you who don't know about it, here's the AKC
release........
shared by Peggy

New Event News from Chairman Ron Menaker:

This month, we're pleased to launch a new event that will take place at select
dog shows around the country - the AKC Owner-Handler Series.

Owner-handlers are the core of the conformation dog sport, making up the
majority of show entries. We're pleased to put the spotlight on all of our
owner-handlers and acknowledge the time and dedication they put into their
dogs.

The AKC Owner-Handler Series will take place after Best of Breed judging in
each breed ring. This competition will be open to all non-professional
owner-handlers, whether experienced or novice. All dogs' eligibility must be
indicated by checking the Owner-Handler box on the entry form at the time of
entry and will be marked as Owner-Handler eligible with an asterisk (*) in the
steward's book and catalog.

Owner-Handler Best of Breed will be selected from the dogs that are eligible to
compete in the Best of Breed competition including Winners Dog and Winners
Bitch. If the Best of Breed/Variety winner is Owner-Handler eligible, it will
automatically be Owner-Handler Best of Breed/Variety. If BOB is ineligible and
Best of Opposite Sex is eligible, BOS will compete against the eligible Best of
Breed dogs of the other sex. If the BOB and BOS winners are both ineligible,
the judge will choose Owner-Handler Best of Breed from the eligible Selects and
eligible WD or WB. If one of the Selects is eligible, the judge will excuse
dogs of the same sex as the Select and judge the remaining dogs of the opposite
sex including the eligible WD or WB. If the BOB, BOS and Selects are not
eligible, the judge may choose any eligible dog remaining in the ring.

Based on points from Breed, Group and Best in Show wins accrued throughout the
year, we'll rank the dogs and invite our top owner-handled exhibits to a
special year-end event to compete for a Best Owner-Handler Award.

AKC Owner-Handler Series Point Scale:
(Note: Owner-Handler Series points do not contribute to championship points)

      â?¢   Best in Show
      â?¢   Group 1
      â?¢   Group 2
      â?¢   Group 3
      â?¢   Group 4
      â?¢   Best of Breed 100
      30
      20
      15
      10
      5

The first events in the AKC Owner-Handler Series will take place at:

      Sahuaro State Kennel Club -
      Colorado Kennel Club -
      International Kennel Club of Chicago -
      Ft. Worth Kennel Club -
      Atlanta Kennel Club -
      Greenwich Kennel Club - February 4th
      February 19th
      February 26th
      March 24th
      April 14th
      June 9th

If you have any questions or feedback to share about the AKC Owner-Handler
Series, we encourage you to contact AKC's Events Department at glt@xxxxxxx or
919-816-3514 or visit here.