[ SHOWGSD-L ] New Mexico - Wants PBs banned, 10 breeds "dangerous"

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 11:02:56 -0800

 What happens in New Mexico could happen in any state any day now. It is
time to wakey wakey everybody.
dee
 (http://www.gallupindependent.com/121504bill.html)

 In an explanation of the bill, breeds such as Akitas, Malamutes,  Bulldogs,
Boxers, Canary dogs, Chow Chows, Dobermans, German Shepherds,  Danes,
Huskies and Rottweilers are classified as dangerous dogs.
Paul opines...

I read this article and the way it's framed...I bet it will pass. If it
does...it will likely spread as the ARO's will exploit any success.

This is how it started in Germany in 2001. Pit Bulls mauled a little
girl...a Green Party member then introduced a bill in the German legislature
for N. Westphalia Rhineland that passed. The bill created 3 separate lists.
#1 was a list of banned dogs that included Pit Bull, Am. Staff's, Presa
Carnario's, Mastiffs...etc. #2 was a list of dogs that could live in the
state but could not be bred. All listed dogs were spayed or neutered under
Govt. supervision...it was mandatory. They had groups that would evaluate
these breeds and if they did not pass their tests...they were killed. List 2
members were Rotts, Dobies, and surprisingly...no GSD's who never made any
of the lists. List #3 were "dangerous breeds" that even included Newfies,
Briards, and Bouviers. They were muzzled whenever they were away from their
residence. Oh...#2 dogs could never leave their residence unless they were
going to the vet. If you wanted to breed a litter of List 3 dogs, they would
convene a panel, test the dogs, and then allow or disallow said breeding.
Rarely was such a breeding allowed.

There were 1000's of dogs euthanized after passage. People who owned
questionable breeds were assaulted and harassed and the ARO's did all they
could to have the lists be adopted country wide. They also tried to export
the lists to other countries as well.

That didn't work and lists 2 and 3 are no longer in existence. That
said...it will be tried in this country whenever they have a chance. ARO's
want to eliminate all companion animals as well as all hunting and fishing
for sport and they will spend millions of $ to accomplish that goal.

I continue to try and energize groups like our PClub and members of "Da
List"...but with little success. Ergo, I also continue to testify before
legislatures where such proposals can and are thwarted from time to time.
Too many are not thwarted tho as evidenced by the passage of over 200 Breed
Specific Bans, mandatory spay or neuter, or anti breeder legislation on the
municipal, state, and federal level.

Time to wakey, wakey is an understatement folks...for all that's worth.

Paul