[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Need help.....please

  • From: Regatta <zilla@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 09:24:20 -0600

I tried sending this private, but mine was bounced back too.

Jill

I recently had a litter in September, and had one puppy who's eye swelled
like this at 5 days. This was an eye infection (probably some kind of
staph), and with the eyes still shut there is really no place for the
infection to drain.   Apparently this happens in about 2% of neo nates, so
it's not common but not unheard of.  What I did (with veterinary advice)
was bathe the eye with warmed saline solution (contact lens stuff) and
gently pry the eye open, it will come, took about 15 minutes of gentle
prying and bathing and did not bother the puppy.  Do both eyes.  Continue
to bathe the eyes with sterile solution and check with the vet, he may want
to use some medicated drops on the puppy.  One of the problems with this
that can occur is scarring on the cornea, which my puppy had.  At about 16
days once the eye was clearly visible, there was a bluish film on the eye,
this is quite different looking than the usual bluish eye that we see when
eyes open.  We treated with Gentocin Durafilm drops for two weeks, an
antibiotic/corticosteroid drop to help reduce the scarring, which it
did.  At 3 months there was still a small spot evident on the cornea, but
did not affect  vision and was expected to reduce more as the puppy
grew.  It may never totally be gone, but it might be quite minimal.

At any rate, you should at least get the eyes open, it will do no harm to
the puppy, and contact the vet.

Jill
Canada