[ SHOWGSD-L ] National ramblings

  • From: "Kathaleen Strong" <inflight2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 06:24:06 -0800

Making connections through Dallas not my most favorite method of flying
anywhere --- but this site was really quite good.  I had terrible flights,
and of course, coming home. both flights packed to the gunnels.

Even though there were no stalls, the grooming area was HUGE, and the
parking was great.  I'm sure the RVers liked the site. they weren't out in
the back 40 like normal, so were able to be more part of things.  If it were
negotiated that reasonable flights with US Air and they were contracted to
allow us to take dogs on their airlines, I'd be more than pleased to come
back to this site.

Hotels were a bit distant, but I want to give Kevin Reynolds a public Thank
You for the service provided for people who stayed at the Econo-lodge.  Us
dog people can be a real pain in the kiester and he took it all in stride.
Plus the hospitality's during the week were well attended and allowed people
to do what they don't really do enough in dogs anymore - have a good time.
Thanks to Bart and to Gary and to everyone else who sponsored the
hospitality evenings.  Excellent Idea!!

I'm glad that the Show committee loosened up their "rules" because dogs were
able to be worked without too much hassle every night.  Glad they listened.
The sod initially looked so bad, that I didn't think it was going to last
the week, but surprisingly enough it did, with only a few bad spots.  I hope
that Patty's ankle wasn't too injured.  She really was a fighter wanting to
get back in there. I don't know how she did it.

The seating was great.  Lots of it and good views, especially along the
"White Wall of Death" as it became coined in our group!  I was there to stud
dog shop and I got the opportunity to get on ground level where the White
Wall of Death wasn't nearly as visible as it appeared from the stands, but
it did work if there were "issues".

I think there are a couple of things that need to be addressed concerning
the price and organization of things.  I almost choked when I was told that
catalogs were $30!  Are you kidding me?  There was a lovely reception given
for Herr Henke.  I went up there to meet the man.  As I got in somewhat of a
line, to meet him, politely waiting my turn while Mr. Moses and entourage
were paid homage to, the next thing I know. the man is taken away.  Dan
Smith went over to say hi, and was shooed away, and when Julie Degan and I
were asked to be introduced. it was like the man was being "shepherded" away
from anyone.  Now, correct me if I'm wrong, when an announcement is made "we
are having a reception in Herr Henke's honor and you're invited to come meet
him" and then a "meeting" takes place right during the thing and you can't
get to meet him, what in hell is that???  And the "invitation only"
reception.  Ummmm.. Not that I would have even attended, but to watch those
invites be passed out right under my nose. I would think the proper respect
should be given to those of us in the breed who have accomplished something
by those who are in the power, and at least offer the invite.  Rude and
exclusionary.  But what else is new????

Special thanks to Tari Kridler and group who organized the "Best of Bitch"
picture with the lady Grand Victrix owners and breeders with Joan Ford.
What a great idea and fun!

Let's talk about the Annual General Meeting.  Where was the microphone for
the members to stand up and say something to the Board.  This used to be a
standard thing that we got the opportunity to give hearts, darts or both,
now that's not allowed, to the point that when Mrs. Godek wanted to make an
announcement, she had to explain what she wanted to say before the mike was
given to her???  Furthermore, since this is supposed to be a meeting held
under Roberts Rules, and Presidents do not make motions, how is it that all
of a sudden "I hereby call this meeting adjourned"???  How about "Anyone
want to entertain a motion to adjourn?"  No. we wouldn't want to let the
members actually participate in the meeting. I hope the new Board will
reinstitute inclusionary tactics when it comes to the members.

I'm quite excited at the outcome of the election, but unfortunately that has
been my thoughts at the change of the guard before, only to find 4-6 years
later things were not on an even keel anymore.  I truly hope that our newly
elected group of people is extremely diligent when it comes to maintaining
the passion that made them put up with the crap that this year's election
held, and continue to remember why it was they thought they should run, "for
the members".

Enough for now. I am still working on the wording in my mind to allow myself
to express what publicly needs to be said, without getting myself in too
much trouble.  Those of you who were there with the heavily rose-tinted
glasses on with the blinders and based on some of these posts - are being
medicated . I'm so pleased you were thrilled.

More later --- maybe.

Kathaleen