[ SHOWGSD-L ] NO PAWS, NO PUPPY PROTECTION

  • From: "DOC" <wynsum@xxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 13:44:06 -0500

Here is a fax that I sent to Santorum and Spector February 11, 2002

I regular write tot hem, but neither of them ever reply

    We are all monitoring this legislation closely and will be contacting your
office later to record
    your vote regarding Senate Amendment 2496.  Animal rights extremists are in
a very  small
    minority as the majority of your constituents eat hot dogs and ice cream
and enjoy an
    occasional visit to the zoo, circus and rodeo.  I do  hope you will also
support the multitude of
    pet owners in this country who
    derive physical and mental benefits from pet ownership and not support
legislation which
    would support the agenda of this radical cult-like  movement.

    Limited space doesn't allow me to go into the provisions of the bill except
to say that USDA is
    already inspecting commercial breeding facilities.  Most of the substandard
facilities are not
    licensed.  We support the enforcement of the Animal Welfare Act by USDA but
see no need
    for these provisions which will do nothing to benefit animals.

    The agenda is obvious and we ask you to oppose adding Senate Amendment 2496
to the
    Farm Bill. I appreciate your valuable taking the time to read this letter.
please do not hesitate to
    contact me regarding this or other animal legislation at any time.

    I oppose PPA amendment to the Farm Bill because it broadens the scope of
the Animal
    Welfare Act to govern the breeding of dogs and socialization requirements.
The rigid penalty
    provisions of the PPA leave no flexibility for the USDA to properly enforce
the Act.

The Puppy Protection Act (S 1478) is bad in concepts, period. The USDA should
stop encouring the
AMISH to slap dogs to gether to make money and leave breeding to the small
breeders.  If you want to
stop puppy mills - stop the pet shops from selling pure bred dogs and stop the
encouragement of the
AMISH.