[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: NIS Perspective

  • From: "Carolyn" <marhaven@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>, <ELG440@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:18:41 -0700

Great Post Peggy!!   You put it in perspective.
I'm not sure what Evan's post was in regard to....but this absolutely is not
about
Lanalee.   NO ONE doubts Lanalee or her Committees committment!!!!
But if we care about the Breed we better darn well care about the illustrations
of
what we consider a good dog if the drawing is to to illustrate the IDEAL GERMAN
SHEPHERD DOG.  You all better take a good hard look, and make sure that is what
you want to take home and campaign in the ring as a great representative of the
Breed and our Standard.

Has NO ONE noticed that the drawing illustrating the Dog gaiting shows a dog in
FULL
EXTENSION DURING THE PERIOD OF SUSPENSION!!!???    This is impossible!!   NO
animal including human beings has reached the maximum extension in it's stride
during the period of suspension......( and YES......even humans have
suspension!! )
The maximum extension is the split second when the REAR FOOT TOUCHES THE
GROUND....extending FULLY IN IT'S REAR DRIVE in the forward thrust, as the other
three extend fully in their reach and follow through......anything else is
totally
incorrect.
This is not about any one person,  any grudge, any vendetta, any favoritism,
anything
at all except a totally incorrect drawing....much like the old paintings from
the 15th
Century that shows horses fully extended at a trot suspended in the
air........wrong!

ALSO, EVERY ARTIST knows that every part of the body is in perspective to the
head.
If the head is 'off size'   the drawing can never be correct.
ALSO....the head is measured from the tip of the nose to the TOP of the
head....not to
the front of the ears.....hence the Elkhound or Akita look....and the cobby
looking
dog.
This is a 100 % rule except in the case of "deformed" man made breeds like
Bassetts,
or Daschunds or Bull Dogs.
All that being said.......the 'face on'  head  drawings are GORGEOUS AND
CORRECT.
WHY the larger or smaller ears are faulted is beyond me.   Beautiful drawings
of the
head facing you.    From the side.........not so much........<G>

Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxx
www.marhaven.com