[ SHOWGSD-L ] NAIA...Lobbyist...& More...Important Read

  • From: "RivendellP" <rivendellp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lacy340@xxxxxxx>, <CARALAND@xxxxxxx>, <marhaven@xxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 15:51:09 -0700

I think that we need a lobbiest to represent us in Sacramento. I would like
to know what people on this list think of that idea. Perhaps we could get
something going with the dog people of all breeds. Thank you Carolyn for
fowarding this letter from Bill Hemby to the list

Jack Newton.

Paul adds...

And I agree. In the late 90's early 2000's we had just such a guy...but the
fancy wouldn't keep our bargain and pay him his due. I sat on the Board of
the California Federation of Dog Clubs and met with George regularly. I just
reopened an old relationship with his protégé Mark Noble. Sadly George is
gone and we (the fancy etal) never did pay him that $20 GRAND we owned him.
George never sued us for it either. He WAS a believer and kept our butt's
outta trouble for many years!

The NAIA conference was awesome. We had both sides in attendance and we
learned a lot from da udder side. Did you all know that HSUS is training
Animal Control Officers around the country? You all would be amazed to see
the number of (pro dog?) organizations that count on HSUS for funding. Who
is the "Go To" organization re pets and animals for FEMA during a disaster?
The answer...HSUS. Where are we? Dragging our asses folks!

During Katrina...Hunte Corp. offered his state of the art trucks to
transport victim animals from Katrina....(specialized trucks and trailers
with AC, TV, and individual cages.) The CEO of HSUS is Wayne Pacelle and he
flat turned him down...rented UHaul trucks to do this important job,  and a
good many fine animals died. I am not supporting Hunte here...I just ask you
all to use your common sense and decide which vehicle would have been best
to get these animals out of harms way?

Jack is right...we need a good lobbyist. We need them all over the country.
HSUS has earmarked $25 Million dollars in 2007 for legislation aimed at anti
breeder/exhibitor and MSN. MSN is the acronym for Mandatory Spay & Neuter.
Learn those acronyms as they are enemies to your very way of life and all
that goes beyond 07...and you damn well better take them seriously. They ARE
organized and waiting for the chance to turn you pet owners in if CA AB 1634
passes.

If AB 1634 does pass it will be yet another "Un-funded Mandate" and the
responsibility to enforce it will be left to the local ACO...(Animal Control
Office) They will not go "looking" for those in violation but the "Breeder
Posses" of the ARO's will and happily pass along that info to the ACO.
Breeder Posses have been organizing in LA for the last 4 years. Many of them
have been to breeders homes disguised as interested puppy buyers. They have
logged your name, breed, number of puppies, and how you advertised them.
(local paper want ad...internet...etc) They are devoted to see US lose and
the ARistas win.

If AB 1634 passes it will likely be the "death knell" for dog shows in CA.
Breeders/owners will be hit with registration fees + the "intact animal
permits" that will cost $100 to $200 per dog per year. We have 10 intact
dogs here as I type...and I can't afford an extra $2500 per year in
taxes...fees...whatever you call them! It will also mean extreme impact on
the CA economy and jobs. It is a rare week in CA when there isn't a dog show
spending $ on food, lodging, and more. The impact will be staggering. (A
good point to write to the Appropriations Committee)

As I mentioned, the NAIA conference brought together a mix of ideas,
opinions, and people who espoused their positions with great expertise. The
conference had the "good guys" who helped us understand the problems and the
solutions. I met with Oregon State Senator Ryan Deckert and NAIA Lobbyist
and Attorney Mark Cushing who both offered excellent information on
achieving our goals. They agree that education and proactive initiatives are
the key to our success.

The only thing missing is YOU!!! Dog Show folks tend to believe
that..."Someone else will handle that for us!" NOT TRUE! It's up to you and
me and others who have a dog in this fight! The term Libertarian pops to
mind...but I got an email and a lead that the CA State Libertarian Party
might be interested in working with us to defeat AB 1634. How about you?

We're working to form a PAC (Political Action Committee) that will work for
all of us...even if you own a ferret or two. The Cat people are hip deep in
this and willing to go lower. How about YOU and your Regional Clubs? Join
NAIA and get ready to support the PAC that will address AB 1634 (when I go
to my number pad the hand automatically types those numbers with ease) and
then launch proactive measures on our behalf. Wouldn't it be great to take a
step forward rather than become reactivists to the ARO Juggernaut that's
been hurled in our faces?

We must put our faces forward...yesterday!

RALEEF...GSDCA...NAIA...& who else is aboard? We need other PClubs,
Specialty Clubs, and even more importantly...Parent Clubs. Damn folks...we
need anyone concerned with animals, birds, or Aardvarks! The PAC is in da
woiks and info will be available soon on how you can support our
efforts...In the meantime join NAIA at
www.naiaonline.org

Crosspost this puppy at will cause we're gonna need everyone who cares...

Paul Root- Chair RALEEF
Board Member- GSDCA
Owner...of dogs who could care less for any of this!