[ SHOWGSD-L ] My writings....your help

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 09:51:34 -0500

Good morning everyone.  I want to once again thank all of you who took
the time to write to me about my story that I sent yesterday called "THE
CHRISTMAS PRESENT" and last week A BOY AND HIS DOG.  I thank you for all
your lovely and encouraging comments.  It gives me a great deal of
satisfaction writing my stories and even more satisfaction that you are
enjoying them.  Many of you have asked my permission to pass them on to
your friends or other web-sites you belong to.  I always allow them to
be passed along as long as it gives me credit as the author.  However,
the last two stories I wrote:  THE CHRISTMAS PRESENT  and A BOY AND HIS
DOG I have NOT GIVEN my permission for EITHER one of those stories to be
published in anyone's newsletters or publications at this time.
Normally I write for the GSD Quarterly (but didn't get anything into
them in time for their latest issue), and I haven't sent either one of
these writings even to them.  Cindy their editor as well her assistant
Tammy are great ladies to work with and I promised them I'd get an
article out for their winter issue.  Now to the reason I'm writing this
to all of you.

I've been encouraged and written to by several of our members asking me
why don't I enter some of my work in the AKC Gazette annual fiction
writing contest.  Well I called them this past week and asked them to
send me a copy of last years winning story.  I received it yesterday and
it was called "Bud" in case any of you remember reading it.  I read it
and it was very well written.  It was a story that touched the heart
like I usually like to write, HOWEVER, this person who won this contest
is an award winning reporter.  How unfair is that?!  I thought this kind
of contest should be open to people who were not professional writers
and instead a novice writer (like me).  How can one hope to compete with
a professional, trained writer I ask myself.  I will call the AKC this
week about this just to air my opinion about it.  he, he, he!   Anyway,
I've got nothing to lose (except the contest), and I've decided to
submit my unprofessional work and "what happens, happens!  That is why I
have NOT GIVEN my permission for anyone to use either one of these
stories in ANY KIND of publication because to enter this contest, they
can not be a published work in another publication.  After the contest
is over, then I can allow these stories to be printed elsewhere.

I need your help.  I would like your opinions please...........for those
of you who read my writings...........which story did you like the best
of the two above mentioned ones?  Which one do you think I should enter
in the contest?  I would really appreciate your input on this because it
is you the reader that these stories appeal to and I'd like to know
which one you preferred.  Which one touched your heart or meant
something to you?  I know there are some teachers on these Lists, some
writers, judges, breeders, etc.  All and any advice would be
appreciated.  Thank you so much for your time.  Barbara
Galasso                    p.s.  when I feel a little discouraged
because I'd have to be competing against professional writers, I hear
myself saying a line from my last story "THE CHRISTMAS
PRESENT.................."don't you ever give up.....you'll learn".