[ SHOWGSD-L ] My response to Stormy Hope's List Post from yesterday

  • From: Gail Sprock <gsprock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: ShowGSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:05:28 -0700

I posted to the list yesterday that I would do some research and =20
respond to Stormy Hope's list post:

I realize after doing some research how important the club's Policy =20
and Procedure Manual is to the organization.  Without it, the club's =20
whole history could fade away and there would be no way to do =20
research or to confirm the accuracy of changes made.

I would like to set the record straight regarding my applying for and =20=

becoming the Editor of the Review back in 1998.  When I applied there =20=

was a list given to each applicant that contained the job description =20=

for review editor.  In the description number 10 states "cannot have =20
any involvement with German Shepherd Dogs other than this magazine." =20
There was no change in the regulations for me, nor did I ask for one.

When Jane Bennett retired as Editor, I expressed an interest in the =20
job at that time. I was told I couldn't be considered because anyone =20
actively involved in handling, breeding or judging would not be =20
acceptable to the Board as a candidate.

On page 91.1 of the P & P Manual Rev. 4/97 I found this:

"The Managing Editor shall do all things appropriate to produce the =20
Review as the official organ of the GSDCA." It further states "The =20
Managing Editor, during his/her tenure, shall not exhibit German =20
Shepherd Dogs in conformation classes at any shows nor shall he/she =20
judge any dog shows, matches or similar events during this time.  =20
This agreement was in effect  when both Jane Bennett and Lois Fryslin =20=

edited the Review.

On page 85 of the P & P Manual Rev. 7/99

"Editor May not judge, steward, exhibit, or handle while Editor."

It is a good policy.  When I did apply for the position of Editor I =20
had no question about the ethics of my showing dogs and being Editor =20
at the same time.  It is especially important with our membership =20
often being so factious.  With new activities and events coming along =20=

it is paramount that the Review Editor, as the Club's ambassador and =20
representative be viewed by all as completely impartial. =96Gail Sprock

Stormy's post:
am weighing in this one time (and just offering my opinion, not
choosing to
debate the issue).   It seems that AFTER Gail was selected to be the
editor,
there was a change in the regulations that SHE wanted.   This was good
for
Gail and the PC.   Before she and the Board at that time worked out HER
contract,
there was no such regulation. How it even BECAME a part of the P&P is
strange, actually.    It would seem that a contract would be worked out
for the Next
Editor with the same regard for the wishes of both the PC and the
incoming
editor.

As far as conflict of interest, do we suggest that the chair of each
committee that has purchasing power do not continue their hobby of
dogs?   The person
who contracts for the PC's insurance (and I have no idea who that is,
and
won't go check), the person who purchases the trophies?   How about the
National
sites?   Are we so distrusting?

It would be a simple matter to stipulate that the incoming Editor does
not
advertise in the Review.   THen the editor's   ad would be "better"
than
others.   If malfeasance is suspected (and I couldn't IMAGINE it with
the editor
that this Board just selected!!!), Fire the dame!

My opinion, and I'm a GSDCA member.

Stormy Hope