[ SHOWGSD-L ] My Trip to the National - Day 1

  • From: edangsd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: The List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 13:32:34 +0000 (UTC)

Or should I title this "How I Spent my Day in Detroit". I got up about five to
take care of dogs and left for the Detroit airport with Kobe and a 550 and 700
crate  I got to cargo( as they had instructed me on the phone) with minutes to
spare and they told me that I had to go to the terminal with him since he was
going excess baggage. I asked them to look at him and the crates, since I had
to go to airlines parking a few miles from the airport and get a shuttle from
there.
They told me defintely the 700 since his ears touched the top of the 550.  The
shuttle came to get me in the parking lot and the door wasn't big enough to fit
the crate, so off the driver went to get a shuttle with a larger door.  He
drops me, Kobe, the 700 crate and 2 bags off with no porter in sight/  I found
a little cart and managed to get everything on it with Kobe on a leash and only
dumped it twice before I reached check-in, where they told me a 700 crate had
to go through cargo.  I told them they were taking him here, since cargo wanted
over $600 one way to ship him as they didn't do excess baggage. Finally the TSA
guy gets there, checks him for bombs and we're all checked in.  I get to my
plane and , of course, I am on the wrong side to see him get loaded, but Rick
Orlowski is and gives me the thumbs up that Kobe is on the plane and everyone
in the cabin cheered. Well then a spoilsport guy says they just took your dog
off the plane and left in a van.  Well, I go up to the captain and he says, not
to worry. A few minutes later the tell me the crate, that they said would fit,
won't fit. but they tell me I can go on this flight, which gets in at 2:30 and
pick him up at 7:30. Well, I am throwing a fit and said I will wait and fly
with him. They tell me that plane is overbooked. I said, I don't care. Now the
plane is supposed to leave and finally, a miracle, they find a seat on the
plane leaving 5 hours later. I then tell them I want the dog and they tell me
he is in a secure area and they will take care of him. Well I ended up getting
him and we sat out in baggage clain watching the bags go round for the next
three hours  . Then we started over again at the passenger counter, the TSA
guy. Well 16 hours after starting out. we are here. I will never fly a dog to a
National again.
--
Ann
www.edangsd.com