[ SHOWGSD-L ] My Thanksgiving Day

  • From: Peggy <pmick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 01:07:32 -0500

    As some of you know, those of us who live alone usually wind up at a
friend's home for dinner on this holiday...
often for Christmas, too!  This year,  I could go somewhere really close
to home...just a few blocks away.  I made a side dish to take, no "dress
up" was required, and these are people I co-own a dog with, plus we are
good friends... it looked like it would be a lot of fun.   (I'm leaving
names out because I didn't ask them if I could tell this story...but
some of you will figure out who they are.)
   So, I put on a clean T shirt, packed my side dish into a bag, and
left the house after the Philadelphia Pet Show -- ooops I mean National
Dog Show--   and drove over to my friends' house.
   They had no power!  None...just their house and three neighbors!
Seems in all the wind today a branch fell on one of the power lines and
caused it to make contact with another power line, causing a loud POP
and lots of sparks, and a total outage of power!    Now, most of
Richmond is electrified...that means not only heat, but stoves,
everything.  Their house, too...all electric!
    They'd planned to deep fry the turkey--but everything else was
supposed to be done on or in the stove!    How to do it?  Hmmmm (all I
could think of it was a good thing I'd cooked my dish before leaving
home...there have been times in the past when I've taken it ready to pop
into the host's oven...)!!!!!!!!!!!!
   Well, we put a grate on top of their fireplace insert and put my dish
there, along with some already made rolls in a pan next to them.  We
boiled potatoes on the grill outside and my hostess  My mashed them in
the kitchen by candlelight.  My host prepared the stuffing on the grill,
too, and then, because their daughters insisted on him fixing  cranberry
sauce (from scratch) he did that out there, too.  My hostess's brother
and I helped where we could.
   The other things they'd planned to serve just got left out...and I
can tell you, we ate by candle and lantern light  and were all so
stuffed afterwards that we couldn't eat dessert (well, my host
did...but no one else even tried).
   Their oldest girl said she would tell her teacher on Monday that we
had prepared and eaten dinner the way the Pilgrims did...which, while
not exactly accurate, was certainly a way of ensuring that none of us
would ever forget this day.   It was tremendous fun, and everything was
delicious...stove or no stove!    I eventually felt unstuffed enough to
stand up and come home, to put dogs out, feed them, and relax...not that
the day was at all stressful.   Luckily, the power was on at my house!
   Hope you all had as wonderful a day as I did...!
Peggy