[ SHOWGSD-L ] My Heart Dog

  • From: Kathryn Springer <KathrynSpringer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2015 12:02:28 -0700

The day I have been treading came yesterday when Strider crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I know it was time but the decision was so hard as he was such a big presence in my life. It started the Sunday after Christmas when I woke up to find his rear totally paralyzed. Luckily I have a wonderful vet and called her at home. She came right over. After an exam and discussion, she thought in all probability he had a ruptured disc. We had been playing ball the day before and he had skidded going downhill on the wet grass and she felt the disc swelled up over night. He was put on huge doses of pred and after two days he was up and moving. Although he continued to be weak in his rear, he still had the go go Strider spirit. His pred was gradually reduced from 80 mg a day to 30 mg. He had acupuncture and cold laser every other week which really helped him. Although playing with his Jolly Ball was out of the question, he still was the ruler of the house. If he would only walk instead of run, it would have been better for him but then being calm and walking was just never in his DNA. This last week, he appeared to be getting weaker and not responding to an increase in pred or acupuncture. Yesterday when I got up, Strider could not.

Although it was the hardest decision I have ever made, I knew by the look in his eyes that it was time. Thanks to his two vets, Dr. Eleanor Dunn and Dr. Lauren Knoble, he peacefully made his passage to the Bridge laying in his favorite spot next to my chair in the living room.
Strider was my heart dog without question. I have loved all the dogs before him, but he was so special in my life. He was without question the smartest dog I have ever been blessed with. He took me on rides I could never imagine. He was my first BISS dog and excelled in what ever performance venue we tried. I will never forget his BOB at Eukanuba over many specials that were expected to win. We had already checked out of our hotel as we knew we were heading home right after breed judging! He was a producer of beautiful puppies and stamped them with his wonderful shoulder, high whithers, strong back, and clean at both ends. But it was his total love and devotion to me that made him my heart dog.
My thanks to so many for giving me wonderful memories. To Bobbie Kindy for breeding him and to Art Sinclair who went to look at the litter and called me and said "you want this one". It was Art who showed him from start to finish including making him the #5 GSD (80 BOBs) and we seldom showed outside of Northern Calif. and then bringing him out of retirement to get his GCh from Veterans! And it was Art who finished so many of his Champion kids. Thanks to Tracy Radigan for his conditioning and grooming when he was being shown. Thanks to the breeders who bred to him especially the late Janice Staley, Gloria Birch and Cappy Pottle; Chriss Simmons and Diane Mehra. Without them, he would not have achieved his ROM.
Although his son and two daughters are with me, the house is strangely quiet as he was a very big presence.

RIP my heart dog ----
DAE Multi BISS, Multi Grp. Winning Am. GCh & Int'l Ch Rohan's Reward ROM TC CGC HT RE CDX NW1 CHIC GSDCA Health Award of Merit.
12-19-2003 to 9-17-2015

Kay Springer