[ SHOWGSD-L ] My First Futurity

  • From: lollark@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Da List)
  • Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2006 18:41:49 +0000

It was my first futurity and the Arizona folks did a great job of hosting.
Nice place for a dog show. My friends and family now KNOW that I am really
crazy.  My daughter, future son-in-law, and I drove 14 hours to Tucson from
Denver to show Sherman (Dallas x Cassie) for FIVE MINUTES in his futurity LOL
(thank you again Julie Degen for trusting us with this handsome boy--he's a
light in our lives).  Unfortunately I neglected to meet the deadline to show
him in the specialty on Saturday and Sunday and make the trip more cost
effective. OOPS!  Now that's an expensive futurity.
Anyway we met lots of people...no...the established folks did NOT seek me out
but I'm not particularly shy about introducing myself and everyone we talked to
was pleasant and informative.  I looked for people from the list and met
several of you.  I felt a part of the event.

AHHHH the dogs...the entries were beautiful both dogs and bitches...I'm still
seeing dogs running gracefully around the ring when I close my eyes (if I'm not
seeing white lines).  The judging was sharp and I could see consistency and
method in Peggy Douglas's approach.  What a trooper she was when the heat got
to her...she refused to give up...after resting, hydrating, and cooling off she
was out there again picking the winners.

I learned a lot about double handling (thank you Gail Sprock, Susan Casey, and
Sharon Avery).  My 8 month old Sherman took fourth in his class but after the
initial disappointment I analyze how to do better the next time.  He needs to
learn more about how to gait fluidly and enthusiastically around the ring but I
think he has what it takes to win a few.  My congratulations to the dog that
won the 6-9 month class.  He was awesome and deserved the win--he was all
together on Friday.

Now I'm behind on grading papers and practicing for my piano recital but it was
a fantastic experience.

Karen Lollar