[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Movement vs temperament/ Huskies

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 07:40:57 -0700 (PDT)

My family bred and raced Siberian Huskies for years.....I still have
one.....she slipped her collar at a dog show once and took off right out the
front gate of the otherwise completely fenced fairgrounds..........ran the
streets of Mason City IA overnight and was sitting outside my camper the next
morning........incredibily smart dogs....that have no interest in pleasing
their owners.   I keep one just to remind me to appreciate my GSD's.  Here is a
link to her page.

http://www.cinosamgsd.com/keisha1.html
Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com

  From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx

  Oh no <G>, not what is asked of them!  They just love to
goooooooooooooooooooooo because
   it pleases THEM!   If you've ever tried to  train a Huskie or similar breed,
you'll know what I mean.

  In fact, Huskie owners have a joke, "what do you call a Huskie when its
leash breaks???...GONE!"
   (Our family owned a Huskie once that lived to be  16; crazy dog, hard to
train, not at all spooky, she
   just lived to please  herself...you see VERY few in obedience <G>.)

  I remember a sled dog ride in Alberta Canada...these where Huskies,
Malamutes and mixes,
  (and I think there's some truth to their bitches being  staked out when in
season and bred by wolfs...)...
  anyhoooo...the sled was  CHAINED to a sapling tree....one by one the dogs
were put in harness.  The
  barking, carrying on and straining against the harness was something to see,
smaller dogs in front,
  powerful Malamutes towards the back...and a bitch in  season named Wendy in
front, lol.....the tree was
   almost on the ground by the  time they were in harness.  When we were in the
sled, musher standing on
  the back and that chain released, he could NOT have stopped them for love
nor  money for the first many
   miles of trail.  Thank God we didn't fall out or  I'd probably still be in
the woods in Alberta <VBG>.

  It was a lot of fun...good memory...thanks!

  Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDCCelebrating generations of Dual Titled TC'd
Champions

  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
  Sled  dogs generally are not spooky......they have a strong drive and
willingness to  do what is asked of  them

Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.