[ SHOWGSD-L ] More on New Orleans spay/neuter

  • From: Stormy Hope <Stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Showgsd GSD List <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 08:26:25 -0700

request for help from New Orleans.

FYI, vote delayed until May 5th session.

This ordinance requires mandatory spay/neuter of all dogs 6 months of
age or older unless you obtain an intact dog permit ... and "showing a
dog" is not directly listed as a reason to keep your dog intact. You
must get your permit (permission) from LaSPCA and show them a photo of
each of your dogs, photos of the dogs living conditions, proof of
rabies, parvo and parainfluenza annual vax, and pay $30 per dog. The
ordinace also tacks on some breeding restrictions. LaSPCA, author of
the ordianance for Hedge-Morrell, retains right to grant or deny
permits.

The ordinance is allegedly in repsonse to controlling dangerous dogs,
but nothing in the ordinance specifically addresses dangerous dogs!

The May session will include NEW council members, so it is now
imperative to resend letters to those incoming newly elected personnel
(see email addresses in message below).

Email and phone calls are working to at least make the Council pause
to think this thru. So please keep up the effort and feel free to
forward this to anyone else concerned about this ordinance.

Even those who do not reside in New Orleans proper can write "while I
am not a New Orleans resident, I am writing on behalf of dog owners
and dog breeders blah blah blah"

Sharon
ps - no need to reply to me. If you support the ordinance, then I
apologize for this unsolicited msg.