[ SHOWGSD-L ] More Animal Rescue Information

  • From: "Pat Lukos" <targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 22:10:41 -0400

FYI --This came thru on one of my rescue lists out of Pittsburgh
Pat Lukos
Sarava German Shepherds

You can go to their website   www.uan.org and go to the disaster "postings".
They will have all of the chat info, and continual updates.  They are posting
themselve in Jackson, Mississippi and Houston, TX.

Here is info that I copied:

EARS leaders are now staging in Jackson, MS and Houston, TX to assess the
situation and determine next steps. UAN is coordinating response efforts with
several other organizations that are providing animal disaster relief -
including
the ASPCA, the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW), Colorado-based
Code 3 Associates, the Humane Society of the United States, American Humane and
Best Friends Animal Society. On Saturday morning, responders from these
organizations will meet to determine a plan of action for entering the Southern
portion of the state. Initial plans for EARS to enter the New Orleans area to
assist with animal evacuations have been put on hold due to increasing violence
and lack of supplies across Louisiana.
UAN has alerted all of our 2,300 trained EARS volunteers that we may need
their help, and already more than 1,100 people are willing and able to respond
when EARS is deployed. As of this time, we are not mobilizing the deployment of
volunteers, but that could change in the near future. It is still very early
in this effort and we will only send volunteers in once it is safe to deploy,
which may very well be later next week or beyond.
Please keep checking this Action Report for more details. If you are an EARS
volunteer and have not yet informed us of your availability and skills, please
do so now by clicking the appropriate link below in the "Contacts" section.
We will be using information gathered through this process to mobilize
volunteers.
from their site with current info.