[ SHOWGSD-L ] Monty-the GSD Hit by Train in NJ

  • From: "Pat Lukos" <targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showGSD-L" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:53:38 -0500

This is from the rescue that has assumed responsibility for Monty, the GSD hit
by a train....The whole history of what this boy has gone through is here and
LHSH would like to help raise the much needed funds to help "Faith's Hope"
Rescue continue with his treatment.  Pat & the Last Hope Team
  From: rosemary.distefano@xxxxxxxxxxx
  I just received an email from a wonderful organization, Last Hope Safe Haven,
Inc., a network of GSD lovers who offer financial support to rescues that take
on cases like Monty's. They are setting up a "Monty Fund." They will use money
donated to this fund to pay for Monty's medical and other needs. Last Hope Safe
Haven, Inc, is a 501c3 and any donations made to them ARE tax deductible. So,
instead of sending your donations to my vet,  send them to Last Hope Safe
Haven, Inc. and get a tax deduction--always a plus!.  Mark "Monty" in the memo.

  Donations can be sent to:

  Last Hope Safe Haven, Inc.
  c/o Dawn Restuccia
  24 Heather Lane
  YarmouthPort MA 02675

  Put in memo: Monty Fund

  Or pay pal with "Monty Fund" in the memo block: windwych@xxxxxxxxxx

  A big thank you to everyone at Last Hope Safe Haven, Inc.

  Rosemary, Faith's Hope Rescue
  ++++++++++++++++++++

  Most of you know the story already. For those few who don't, here is a link
to the article Joel Schwartzberg posted on NJ.com on December 22, 2008.

  http://blog.nj.com/njv_joel_schwartzberg/2008/12/the_train_and_the_dog.html

  Because he was a stray, the township had to hold him for 7 days to give the
owner the chance to claim him. During that time, he was cared for by Dr. Negrin
in Union, NJ. She kept him alive and tended to his very serious injuries. She
did a fantastic job!

  Most of you know who I am and know my rescue work. For those who don't, here
is a link to my Petfinder site:

  www.faithshope.petfinder.com

  I have been doing rescue for 5+ years. Faith's Hope is a very small rescue,
me, a couple of fantastic foster homes and a few volunteers who help as they
can because they truly believe in me and my mission. Although I will
occasionally take an "easy" case if it comes my way and I can help, for the
most part I focus on cases like this one.

  Just a quick update on Monty's condition. Medically he has a few challenges
to overcome. He has a "broken back," one of his vertebrae is badly dislocated.
This has caused back end paralysis and all that goes along with that. I have
already taken him to a neurologist, surgery will not improve the odds that he
will ever walk again and could in fact make matters worse if there are
complications from the surgery. Luckily, the dislocation is "stable" and he
doesn't require surgery to prevent further damage. Which is good because for a
different reason he could not undergo surgery right now (more about that later
in the email). In addition, he also has a fractured skull which is healing
quite well and thankfully has not caused any brain damage or other neurological
issues, at least to this point. Finally, one of his ears was partially severed
in the train accident. That is strictly a cosmetic issue, he now has one floppy
ear. That gives him that much more character.

  I also had complete blood work and urinalysis done. As expected Monty has a
nasty UTI which we are treating with antibiotics. I am still waiting for my vet
to get back to me about some of the abnormal results on his blood work, I
suspect most of them are due to the trauma of the accident and that UTI. It
also looks like his thyroid levels are a little low, he may need some thyroid
meds, not a big deal. But the bigger problem is that in addition to all his
other medical problems, he has tested positive for heartworms -- the reason he
can't undergo any major surgeries right now. I suspect Monty was an outside dog
and so it is not surprising he is positive for heartworms. I have received some
very interesting information on a new, less dangerous protocol for treating
heartworms and I am planning on using that treatment plan with Monty.

  I wish you could all meet Monty so you could understand why everyone who has
feels so strongly about doing everything we can for him; to give him a chance
at life. He is an amazing dog, with the most wonderful disposition and
dignified and graceful personality. Throughout this whole ordeal, not once has
he growled, tried to nip or otherwise reacted to any of the many humans who
have handled him since the accident. Not only will he allow anyone to do
whatever they need to do to care for him, he tries to help by sitting up or
moving away from his bed so his bedding or diaper can be changed, etc. He is a
fantastic dog.

  We have a couple of wheelchairs available we need to try on him to see if
they will fit. If they don't, we will order one for him. We are investigating
locations that have water therapy for dogs so we can get him started with that,
it would not be out of the question for him to be able to walk again; water
therapy can do wonders for these cases. We are treating the most immediate
health problems, the infection, his bed sores and other skin irritations from
his urine. In the next week or so, I am planning on starting the heartworm
treatment and if he needs thyroid meds, we will start that as well.

  He is currently in a fantastic foster home with someone who has had GSDs for
30 years. Donna and Rick have fostered several dogs for me and have done an
incredible job with every one. Without their offer to foster Monty, there is no
way I could have helped him. For one thing, at this point, two people are
needed to care for him and I live alone. He is doing very well, all things
considered. He is eating like a champ, he is alert, and most importantly, he is
comfortable. In spite of the extent of his injuries, he is not at all painful
and allows handling without any problems. He now has a doggie water bed to lay
on, generously loaned to us by another GSD lover whose dog has passed. In time,
we may need to recruit a couple more foster homes to share the fostering duties
as this is not an easy case and likely to take a while to get ready for
permanent adoption. Anyone who has experience fostering a dog like Monty and is
willing to help out, please don't hesitate to let us know! Eventually he will
also be looking for just that special permanent home I am sure is out there for
him but Monty still has a ways to go before he is ready for that.

  Monty has a long road ahead and so do we. I have received emails from all
over the country with offers of help. We welcome and are grateful for all help,
be it financial, information about alternative ways to deal with his
disabilities, treatment options for his medical issues, etc.

  Above all, please keep him in your thoughts and prayers, I know there are a
lot of people out there pulling for Monty. Keep it up, it is working so far! It
is obvious Monty has many guardian angels, it's not every day a dog survives
being hit by a passenger train. His journey on Earth is not over yet.

  Rosemary
  Faith's Hope
  www.faithshope.petfinder.com
  faithshope@xxxxxxxxxxx
  215-356-9445

  "We can do no great things, only small things with great love." Mother Teresa

Pat Lukos
SARAVA German Shepherds
Secretary, Last Hope Safe Haven, Inc.
www.lasthopesafehaven.com