[ SHOWGSD-L ] Michigan - legislation...Cheri's Law...dangerous dog law.......

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <GSDCALegislative@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 14:50:59 -0500

from another list, with permission to crosspost (which you also have)

Subject: Cheri's Law i n MI - calling for Federal dog reforms
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 19:06:41 +0000

  Please forward this to various dog groups.  Take a look at the letter
being asked to be sent out and then sit down.  Or better yet, sit down
first.  This is not an intelligent dangerous dog law at all.  If you know
anyone in Michigan, make sure they get this and since it is calling for
Federal reforms, we have to be diligent as well.  This is really scary,
because it asks for a limit of 3 dogs...if this goes Federal, we're all in
deep kim chee..............and of course, for mandatory spay/neuter laws
unless one is a "licensed breeder."  This is REALLY a bad one.........
Peggy

  Here is a more sane dangerous dog law in effect in Virginia.

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/GoodDangerousdoglaws/PrinceWilliamCountyVA.pdf

  Here is the legislative letter I found on the website linked in the UKC
message, since the rabios stations change info, I am putting the letter in
this email and a link to the leg .alert on the UKC boards -
  http://forums.ukcdogs.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=170994

  You can also read this:
http://www.dailypressandargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070930/NEWS01/709300326

  Dear ________________________________,

   I am writing to you today to ask for your leadership in creating and
supporting new legislation "Cherie's Laws" regulating dog ownership.  Cheryl
Harper and her neighbor Edward Gierlach were brutally attacked and murdered
by dogs in Livingston County, Michigan on September 13, 2007 and I want to
be certain this never happens again to another person.
 We need more than a breed specific ban on dogs.  We need State and/or
Federal Legislation that regulates dog ownership.  If we only target a
particular breed, we may have a problem in the future with a different
breed.  We must address ownership and its responsibilities to truly effect
change.  Responsible dog owners should have no problem following the laws
that are for the good of the community.
 The following is a list of items that should be legislated:
. Uniform dog ownership laws including a limit on three animals per single
location and only on of a high risk breed.
. Accountability of cities, townships and other municipalities regarding
enforcement of licensing and animal regulation.
. Mandatory spaying and neutering of dogs unless the owner is a licensed
breeder.
. Any dog over 40lbs. must be muzzled and on a leash no longer than 4ft. in
public.
. Larger, more punitive fines for negligence in dog licensing and "three
strikes you're out" legislation that would result in no longer being able to
own a dog.
. Mandatory liability insurance for all owners of high risk breeds whether
the owner of the dog is a homeowner, renter, or other.
. High risk breeds must be kept in an enclosed area with a roof.
. Felony charges and mandatory prison time for any owner of a dog that maims
or kills a child in the home.
. Felony charges and mandatory prison time for buying or selling dogs for
the purpose of fighting or participating in dog fighting.
I implore you to move quickly with new legislation since everyday there are
more reports across our nation of dog attacks.   I am looking forward to
hearing of your concern and action on this problem

Thank you very much,