[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mentoring Idea

  • From: "Mo Murkland" <murk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:34:38 -0500

Jodi,
  I love your idea about a newbie chat night!  We used to have one every
week and had a ball! A few of the more experienced breeders could monitor
the thing and all the newbies that are afraid to post to the list...( I know
I was there for a long time) would have a chance to ask all those questions
that need to be answered. We were all there.....needing help! Lord knows I
still do! SHUT UP LEE! I think it would be fun! What do Y'all say? Mo

> There is also the option of having a mentoring chat night, weekly,
monthly. I think there is a way to save the entire chat. That can then be
edited and published for those who missed out.

> I would think there would be a fee for the forum type, which would be
okay. Charge an annual fee to cover that expense, or charge a little more
and give to a charity, to juniors, or even online gift certificates to the
mentors. Charging a fee would certainly keep it private, serious, weed out
the riff raff.

> I am fortunate to have a mentor, but I don't want to exhaust her. I have
plenty of questions for her and understand that she has a busy life. I think
there is a lot of knowledge out there that could be shared in an online
forum that could ease the burden of a "real life" mentor, so when we do hook
up with them at shows, we would be at a higher level of questioning.

> So, there's my idea. As I work online, I'm home all the time.  Although I
would be a mentoree, I would bet there would a job/way for me to help. My
profession is in language usage, editing, for what that is worth. I will
volunteer.