[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Mentoring

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: chsweetsun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, targa50@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 15:18:02 EST

Tari,
A mentor is someone who shows/tells and explains what they have learned.  You
can only do the same thing and hope it sticks.  As an Obedience instructor, I
can tell you, some will listen, follow advice and learn.  Others are
oblivious.

I have been in dogs since I was 7 yrs old.  Won't tell you how old I am now,
lol!  However, only been in GSD's (conformation) for about 5 yrs.  I was
fortunate to run into breeders who where willing and supportive.  Stormy Hope
and
Lorraine Brewer have been nothing but positive in my quest to show and breed
GSD's.  Since I became involved in the breed, there have been others who have
also been very supportive and have given me some excellent advice.

Maybe it was my prior experience but on the other hand, their openness to
welcome me was a breath of fresh air.

Now it is my turn.  I am working with some folks that have a gorgeous,
gorgeous puppy bitch.  They are Total Novices.  I will do whatever I can to
keep
these people involved, committed and JAZZED about showing their girl.  If I can
get them as remotely as involved as I, then I have hopefully brought another
family into showing our wonderful breed.  It is one person at a time.

Don't give up.  Most people want pet pups.  But when you get someone
interested in showing your lines, give them everything you've got.  It may not
work
all of the time, but just one gives you a great feeling.

Laura Thomas
www.treasureranchgsds.com