[ SHOWGSD-L ] Making Excuses for Bad Dogs

  • From: InquestGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 22:54:16 EST

Making excuses for bad dogs.....

Why does this surprises anyone?  The trend to rationalize, explain and
justify bad behavior is not limited to dogs.......it's come to the dogs, but it

started with humans.  Common sense is an alien term for most  people.  And
sensibility is confused with weakness.  Is anyone still  surprised?

Insanity pleads, bad childhood, whatever.....there is always a need to
explain and justify bad behavior.  Does it apply sometimes? Sure. Does it
explain
everything?  No.

We refuse to accept that some animals, like some people, are just  bad. That
evil creatures exist.  That some people (or some dogs) no  matter how much you
train them, or correct them, are going to stay bad.  To  accept that is too
frightening.  It means WE (or our dogs) are  ultimately capable of committing
the same acts.  Now, combine this with  irresponsible dog ownership and we have
a recipe for disaster.

Growing up we had all kind of animals.  My Grandfather rules were  simple.
And don't bother yelling at me, I didn't make the rules........I also  never
got
bit by any of our dogs.  And neither did any of my cousins.   In our
household if a dog showed any inclination to harm any of the family  members,
it was
placed on probation.  If a dog ever attacked, it was put  down.  End of story.

I will not feed a dog that will turn on us.  I won't live with  it.  I will
either return it to the breeder (true story) or put it down  (true story).

Whenever you hear of these dog attacks, forget about the "poor" dog  for a
minute and place yourself 15 years down the road, looking at the mirror,
crying
your heart out because your face is scarred by a dog attack, and you  didn't
get asked to the prom.  Simplistic you say?  Tell that to my  neighbor (true
story).  Years of plastic surgery have improve a situation,  but the scars are
only less, not gone.

Stop making excuses. It is the deed, not the breed.  I don't care what  kind
of dog attacks a child. It needs to be put down.

We and our breed are not beyond reproach.  A sensible solution needs  to be
found to prevent all large breeds to be put on the "Wanted" lists.   And we
need to become part of the solution, to learn from others mistakes and  avoid
having our GSD's blacklisted.  And we need to do this  proactively.

What have you done today to show your community how good our dogs  are?

JMHO

Ileana