[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Look at it from another angle, what I meant

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:57:33 -0400

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 22:34:53 EDT, ELG440@xxxxxxx wrote:=20

>My point was that maybe some of those dogs in the
>shelter would be adopted and taken home, in place
>of those purebred puppies we  are breeding.

Maybe. Maybe not...  :/

I've heard this argument often from the animal rightists.
Personally speaking, I believe that if I could not have an
English setter or a German (or White) shepherd in my life,
I would prefer not to have a dog at all. Many will
disagree with me. Others will call me a breed snob. Don't
get me wrong... I love ALL dogs.. And I've had and loved
many other pure breeds as well as mixed breeds. But I have
chosen to share my life with my setters and shepherds. To
me, other dogs are just dogs. It's a bit like saying that
if your spouse dies, you can always remarry. That's true;
you can. But I CHOOSE to live with my husband and I'm not
really sure I would want any other man. It's a very bad
analogy, but it is the only thing I could think of to get
my point across. There are dogs you love and then there
are dogs of one's heart. To live with a non-heart breed
when you have given yourself over to such love is almost a
tease. I'm not sure I could or would do that to myself.

--
Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx