[ SHOWGSD-L ] Limping help

  • From: RckyIizard@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:04:53 EST

Hi all,
Just got off the phone with a friend who has a pup here in Utah from one of
her litters.  This baby is 16 months old, and just started limping pretty badly
on one leg--he won't put it down when standing, limps when trotting, but when
he gallops he's fine.  Owner says she took him to her vet, vet says this 16
month old puppy has "arthritis."  Vet put him on Rimadyl, and has these people
thinking they should put him down.  Vet DID x-ray hips, and says they'd rate
OFA "fair".  Vet thinks because--in his opinion--the hips would only rate fair,
this is causing the arthritis.  (Dang, I think I'll switch to this vet, he
seems to know so very much!)  Oh--forgot to mention--owners also say this 16
month old boy is 90 lbs...so I'm betting he's a bit of a chunky monkey.

So the questions..."arthritis" in a 16 month old?  In one leg?  Bad enough to
be put down?  I'm thinking more along the lines of pano or an injury, my
friend did say another littermate to this boy had some pretty bad pano, but is
fine now.

After a bit of fast talking on the part of my friend (the breeder) the owner
did agree to let her take him to her own vet for a second opinion, thank
goodness.  They're still talking euthanasia though so any help would be VERY
much
appreciated!  Thanks so much in advance,

Liz in Utah

puppy page updated 11/2/04--exciting litter on the way!
http://hometown.aol.com/rckyiizard/index.html

POST is Copyrighted 2004.  All material remains the property of the Poster and
of GSD Communication, Inc. NO REPRODUCTIONS or FORWARDS of any kind are
permitted without prior permission of the original poster AND of the Showgsd-l
Management. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

For technical help and administrative matters, please contact the List
Administrators at admin@xxxxxxxxxxxx