[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Letter to L.A. City from David F.

  • From: Bokenkampgsd1@xxxxxxx
  • To: stormy435@xxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 14:54:41 -0400 (EDT)

GREAT job Dave.   Surely could not have said it better or clearer  if I
tried.
thanks for permission to post and Stormy for posting.
Molly

In a message dated 5/26/2013 11:11:27 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
stormy435@xxxxxxxxx writes:
(David  gave me permission to share this, so I put it on a few chat lists,
then on  Facebook.  Within 2 hours this morning, it had 500 views.  And I
hadn't even posted in on the GSDCA Legislation Awareness Page yet.    For
those of you not on Facebook.. those 50 views can translate into a reach  of
thousands.   Thanks, Mr. Fristsche, for writing this.  I  wish that I could do
as well.  One caveat.. L.A. has already banned  selling pets in pet stores.)
Shared with permission from my friend,   David Fritsche, author of "The
Death of a Culture: Understanding the War:  Animal Rights vs Animal Welfare"

CARMEN A. TRUTANICH, City  Attorney
City Hall East
200 N. Main Street, Room 800
Los Angeles, CA  90012

Dear Sir;

It has come to my attention that you are in the  process of enacting
legislation to prohibit pet animals in the City of Los  Angeles, as evidenced
by
the ordinance language below:

"(1) Subsection  (b)(2)A of Section 53.15.2 LAMC Section 53, 15,2(b)(2)
requires that all dogs  and cats in the City be spayed or neutered subject to
several exemptions, One  exemption, codified in Subsection (b)(2)A, exempts a
dog or cat that is  registered with a breed registry recognized by the
Department, and that is a  show animal having completed within the previous two
years, unless the animal  is too young to compete, The draft ordinance
requires the breed registry to be  a national or international registry or
association that includes breed  identification, date of birth, names of
registered sire and dam, the name of  the breeder and record keeping relating
breeding, transfer of ownership and  death, The draft ordinance also requires
the owner to provide the Department  with verified proof of competition.

(2) Subsection (b)(2)8 of Section  53.15.2 Subsection (b)(2)B is the
exemption linked to agility training,  herding or related designations for
working
dogs. According to the Department,  there are no accepted professional
standards or licensing procedures for such  activities. The draft ordinance
deletes this Subsection."

I am not sure  how you arrived at these findings and who wrote this fine
piece of  legislation, but it would seem that they have created quite a Catch
22 for  you. Let me explain…

All dogs and cats must be spayed. That means, of  course, and I suppose you
and your staff have considered this carefully, that  the City of Los
Angeles will be pet free in one generation – All spayed or  neutered, - no
puppies
or kittens – None!

The exemption you provide is  for registered show dogs. This item is
similarly brilliant! They do not have  to be spayed or neutered at four months
if
they can show that they have  competed in an official show within the last
two years. Let’s see. They would  not have competed in a show in the past two
years if they are four months old,  now would they? In fact, AKC, and all
registries, do not allow a puppy to show  until it is six month old. So, they
all get spayed or neutered, right? The  exemption, as written, dooms them
all!

Then you add to this insult, the  removal of other dog sports, because you
cannot establish a registry for  hunting, agility or field dogs or their
trials. Since I just attended one not  long ago, I suspect that your staff did
not do due diligence in searching out  those kinds of trials and support
clubs. They do exist, and any breed club can  help you find the mechanism by
which there events are supported and held. So,  the conclusion is that the
residents of the great City of Los Angeles can  reduce their expenses for their
chosen hobbies, if they choose to enjoy  agility, hunting, herding, or any
of the host of dog sports. Because there  will, in one generation, be no
dogs to enter in those sports.

I do not  know where this kind of thinking originates. I am not sure why,
in the past  15-20 years, governments have decided that they can deprive the
citizens of  their communities of private property without due process,
determine whether  or not a given peaceful activity should be enjoyed by their
community or how  it is that government officials presume to know what is
best for the people  who elected them. You certainly have done a good job of
covering all the  bases. The effect on your city will be clear:

1.. 1. Pet stores and the  commercial enterprise of your pet economy will
be none existent when there are  no more pets.
2.. 2. Veterinary practices will inevitably close when they  have no
clients.
3.. 3. Dog clubs, dog shows, and other events and  activities enjoyed by
people with their beloved pets, will cease.

One  might consider the financial impact of such actions before making
broad and  all inclusive legislation. But then, you must already have
considered
this,  being in high office as you are.

My congratulations to your staff in  proposing such far reaching and
devastating legislation. When all the pet  lovers leave California, they will
be
due a substantial raise in pay, but I  fear the financial impact of this
legislation and its overall trend will not  allow it.

Sincerely, and with intended sarcasm,

David Fritsche,  Animal lover and private citizen

Stormy V.  Hope

 is Copyrighted 2012.  All material remains the property of the

expressed in any post.