[ SHOWGSD-L ] Leaving? Staying? What to do?

  • From: "Penny & Bill" <Ketchy@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Show List" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:02:55 -0500

I don't know what "THE BIG PICTURE is for the breed and conformation showing.
I know I love BOTH.  But I'll let you know what's happened just this year in
our small  kennel.  Last Spring, we took a hit with 3 of our young dogs.  When
taken to the vet's for preliminary hip and elbow x-rays, our vet discovered
serious problems in 3 out of the 4 taken.  Besides a $900 vet bill, it was now
my job to place those who I would not want shown or bred.  (These dogs were all
"bought" from  reputable breeders and were replaced--no complaints there.)  But
what a loss--of time, of money, since some of them were trained in the showring
by my handlers.  On getting my expenses ready for the accountant for the 2004
income taxes, I found that this year we spent $1000 on our all-breed handler
who was training our lab pup (training in the ring, in puppy classes) and over
$5000 for our shepherd handler.  I should say here that our dogs are young.
Not one point was earned in any ring.  Again, young dogs, nobody's fault. BUT
my husband has suddenly decided that he does not want to work for the USPS
anymore--I will NOT be able to afford losing all that money in 2005.  What
should I do?  Well, for one, I sold the lab.  The only answer is to not show as
much.  Entries have gone up, handling expenses have gone up (I AM NOT
COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS--IT'S JUST REALITY), veterinary care has gone up.  I
will NOT put any more money in showing young dogs who are not ready to be
competitive and who have not been x-rayed clear.  I have been doing this since
the late 70's--back then my "professional" handler was Gene Heintz, Ellen's
husband.  And I use the word professional because he had all the right
moves--Gene and Ellen  did this FOR FREE for me because they wanted a young
person to learn and to love the breed like they do. And I do.  So, I'll
definitely STAY and try to be more cost effective with my money.    Does
anybody have any other ideas?
Penny in NY
Ch Kid, Ch Eagle, Deli, Angel, Becca, Witchy and Jeddie
. . .and Punky, waiting at the Bridge

Penny & Bill
Landsend Kennels
Since 1974