[ SHOWGSD-L ] Learning how to double

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 18:45:02 EDT

In a message dated 4/19/07 7:17:39 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
spotted101@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
A whole  new thing to learn............ sigh... Can you teach old dogs new
tricks  (and break bad habits)?

First of all, you have to understand, there is no right way to double
handle. Second whatever you do, it is wrong in the eyes of your handler, messes
 up
your dog in the eyes of your spouse, and as far as the dog goes, most of the
time they don't care anyway.

Double handling does two good thing.  It gives the owner something to  do and
makes him/her think they have something to do with the win.  When  the dog
loses, of course, it is the handler's fault, or a political judge.   Also,
never
forget that being involved is important. Second If the owner just  sits
ringside, how can they accept the congratulations we all crave?

We must not underestimate the value of double handling.  Without it we  might
as well send out dogs off with the handler and wait for the phone  call.
While that might be ego fulfilling, it certainly can't be as much  fun as to
tripping over tent poles, running down our friends, (and an enemy or  two) and
complaining about how hard we had to run, to win.

Since you always do it wrong anyway, there is no way that anyone can say  you
need to learn anything. That is a great way to be involved.

Evan  (http://www.asgardgsd.com/)
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/