[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: LEAVING

  • From: TISHW@xxxxxxx
  • To: CHBLACKVELVET@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 19:41:55 EST

In a message dated 1/3/2005 5:46:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
CHBLACKVELVET@xxxxxxx writes:

> I remember in the late 80's, it wasn;t unusual to see 60+
> gsd's  at an all- breed show. The specialities in the PNW was like 80-100.
> What
> happened??
>

> Nice too see  the Golden people breeder/owner/handle. They are
> sucessful...would be nice to see this in our breed too~!!!!!

German Shepherd people have a real problem with the owner/handler thing.
Shepherds gait more than most other breeds and most of us are not in shape
(even
in our younger years) to run around the ring several times with our dogs.  And
forget the National.  For most of us one time around and you'd have to call
an ambulance.

But on another note - I've been keeping track of AKC and Futurity statistics
for over 10 years now and have given the charts and all to the Board members.
This is not just a Shepherd problem.  People in general are not getting into
dogs the way they were 25 years ago.  Both people in the family work.  If they
have children,they are involved with children activities on the weekend.
Breeding dogs takes time which most don't have.  Many are getting smaller
breeds
because they are easier for city or close suburban life.

The performance activities seem to be a place to attract newcomers.  Agility
especially has become a big hit.  The problem is, for a specialty club to
offer agility it needs to have a lot of equipment which most clubs don't have.
Maybe, as someone suggested, rally will be a way to draw in new people.

The money and handlers are a big issue but time is also a big factor for
today's young people.

Tish