[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Kennel cough and vaccinating

  • From: Pinehillgsds@xxxxxxx
  • To: brendangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2010 17:38:46 EDT

The intranasal is the one to use, but a lot of vets prefer the shot because
 if they or someone on their staff mess up and give the intranasal as a
shot the  dog has one hell of a reaction...

I don't vaccinate the young dogs.  It's pretty harmless and a dog w/ a
good immune system can be rid of it in a few days.  Children's Robitussin
(sp?) or a shot of cheap rum will quiet a cough...

I WILL vaccinate the seniors just in case the young ones bring something
home.  There is a chance of pneumonia w/ the oldsters...I usually do that
b-4 the fall shows.

Kathy, member GSDCA, DVGSDC

In a message dated 6/2/2010 3:55:24 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
brendangsd@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Which  does everyone use and why:  the bordetella shot or the intranasal
vaccine for kennel cough. I use the internasal.

A friend's dog was  not given the vaccine and recently contracted kennel
cough. Now he wants  to get the preventative, but has questions.  He said
his
vet told him  she used to give the internasal vaccine, then switched back
the  shots.  Wondering why?

Also, what is your opinion on this:   how long after a dog has contracted
kennel cough do you vaccinate or give  the internasal?  How long after
symptoms subside, etc.

LuAnn

POST  is Copyrighted 2010.  All material remains the property of the

For assistance,  please contact the List Management at admin@xxxxxxxxxxx

VISIT OUR  WEBSITE - http://showgsd.org