[ SHOWGSD-L ] Kennel Name origon, Rescue, the List and more sorry about length

  • From: BJBuie@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 12:35:31 EDT

I am late to respond on the Kennel name origin, (explanation in the last
paragraph), but here it is.
When I was breeding, showing, etc., back in the 1970s, my kennel name was
Zentheim.  I was married at the time to a man who's last name was Zent, quite
German, so adding "heim" meant Zent's home.  I lost custody of the name in the
divorce and 'twas a cheap price to pay!  Sorry to the men out there!

Then came the 25 or so year run in Corporate America out of the GS and dog
show world.

Now I have chosen Tintagel.  Tintagel is my favourite place in Cornwall on
the western coast of England.  It is the legendary birthplace of King Arthur
and
there are age old castle ruins and Merlin's Cave.  It is a beautiful place
with all the enchantments of the English countryside and the waves of the sea
at
your feet.  If my daughter were to permit my move to England I would live
there or at Cambridge, (Angela objects to my living quite so far away).  For
Peggy, it is 62 miles from Land's End, where there is indeed a lighthouse named
Longships.  There are photos of the part of the castle ruins as the background
on my website at www.Tintagelgsckcs.com which is much in need of an update and
which I hope to work on this week.  (Those puppies pictured at 3 months were a
year old in June!)  I was hoping that if Tintagel was the birthplace of
Kings, perhaps we would have our share of German Shepherd and eventually
Cavalier
King Charles Spaniel Royalty.

Second in this e-mail is a plea to anyone who can get to mid-Missouri or
offer any kind of assistance to respond to Michele Ewert's e-mail which I am
including.  Michele originally contacted me a few years ago from the KC Club
website for breeder referrals for a puppy to replace an old Shepherd which had
died.
 She could not find a quality affordable puppy so she ended up rescuing two
Shepherds, one an elder statesman and then threw her heart into GS rescue which
was not represented in Mid-Missouri where there are unfortunately many puppy
mills.  In the last two years she completed all the requirements as a 501 C
(or whatever number it is) charity and has done an incredible job at rescue.

In addition to the 7 dogs, (which I will see and temperament evaluate
tomorrow) she also has 12 puppies from two litters.  The veterinarian here in
Marshall which is temporarily housing these dogs has also been very helpful to
Cavalier rescue.

If you can help in any way, please contact Michelle direct as per her e-mail.

Subj:   GSD puppy mill - update - last 7 dogs
Date:   8/25/06 3:04:07 PM Central Daylight Time
From:   michellewerts@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All,

We have the last of the German Shepherds from the puppy mill we have been
working to close for the last year or so.  The mill has been closed.  7,
approx 2 year old German Shepherds are curently being boarded at Marshall
Vet Clinic in Marshall, MO.  They are a mix of males and females and are
traditional black and tans.  Some have been spayed/neutered and given rabies
shots already.

We have to move these dogs before Labor Day Weekend as the Marshall Clinic
has boarders coming in and cannot keep them.  We will transfer to other
rescues and fes will only be those incurred in vetting, usually less than $100.

These are all adoptable dogs and are becoming more socialized but do not have
house manners or walk on a leash.  They need to go to experienced German
Shepherd owners and preferably into foster homes first.

We have been slammed with incoming dogs and I know we cannot take on all of
these dogs.  If you are able to take on any of these dogs, please contact:

Michelle Werts at Serendipity German Shepherd Dog Rescue
info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx plz ref: Puppy Mill
(573) 424-4565 - Michelle mobile, plz leave a msg w/ name and call back #

Time is short for these dogs so we are trying to move them quickly.  Thank
you for your time and assistance!

Michelle Werts
SGSD Rescue

Now for the part some of you might want to skip but are probably the ones who
need to read same.

Health issues of my own led to the backup on the list and other e-mail.  By
behind, I mean like back to about August 10.  If you take note of the date, you
will know what kinds of items I read. As I read the e-mails, by far the
majority served to reinforce my decision that my return to the German Shepherd
show
world after my 25 year hiatus coupled with a very hurtful dog related
situation was a mistake.  Yes, The GS world has provided me with some good
friends,
some from all those years ago and some new  whom I treasure and trust will
continue to be my friends whatever I decide.  I love the three dogs sitting at
my
feet and wouldn't trade them for anything.  I look forward to some involvement
through my comeback litter, Tintagel Patent Pending WindyHill, "Penny"
co-owned with Chris Jolley Kimerer and Tintagel Prejudicial Evidence Caralon,
"Jude", owned by Penny Kroh and hopefully, Tintagel Probable Cause Caralon,
"Abbie"
who is still available through Pat and Scootie at Caralon with whom the
litter was co-bred.

I wish there were a way to bring Merlin back to cast a spell to take the egos
and backstabbing and all the rotten stuff out of the GS world.  It is much
worse than Corporate America and this was supposed to be my retirement leisure
activity!  Unfortunately, I think Merlin and those wishes exist only in fairy
tales.  Please at least try to think about what is best for the future of the
breed.  Think about what is best to eliminate the health problems that are
rampant and which many breeders ignore in order to get that one big winner.  If
you can't quiet your egos then please find some other way to feed your ego and
ruin something, (preferably something other than a living breathing human or
animal) other than a remarkable breed of dog.

If title and "power" are of the utmost importance to you, then please go
somewhere else and let the GSDCA concentrate on benefits for the membership and
all the issues surrounding a breed we profess to love.

Betty Johnson
Tintagel