[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Karen Strange's message --

  • From: Cinosam GSD <cinosamgsd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 09:41:45 -0700 (PDT)

I really don't think Commercial Breeders are suffering like Hobby Breeders are.
 For some reason even with all of the Dog Legislation out there, Commercial
breeders seem to be thriving.  I think part of the problem is that AR groups
are lumping us in with commercial breeders and government officials are blindly
supporting bills with no motivation to dig deeper.  Commercial breeders also
contribute a fair amount of taxes to local governments which makes this
industry desirable to some rural communities.   Much of the breeder legislation
out there requires licensing fees for unaltered dogs and ridiculous impractical
housing requirements; that are either impossible to implement or not affordable
for a hobby breeder who does not make an overall profit when it comes to
breeding dogs.

  Just recently here in MN; Morrison County to be exact, permission has been
granted for the opening of a 600 dog breeding facility (Just call us the
Missouri of the North).  The only big factor was neighbors worried about the
barking which will be controlled because the dogs will be kept INSIDE.  That's
600 breeding dogs that will never be anything more than livestock producing and
reproducing in some pole barn.  I'm sure disposal facilities for the sick and
old will not include trips to the vet with kind words and final goodbyes though
for most of those dogs dying will probably be the kindest thing that can happen
to them.

  I know what my personal definition is of a commercial breeding facility and
you might want to excuse me when I say it will be a cold day in HELL before I
support the rights of commercial breeding facilities; I don't care how legal
our laws say they are or how often they are inspected by the USDA; this is a
moral issue for me.   Besides lets face it; the government's ability to inspect
and monitor dog breeding facilities has to be right on the bottom of the
priority list.

  The joke is on the ARists though; because for every law they get passed that
makes it harder on me to breed a dog; they create NEED for commercial breeding
facilities; and one day in my lifetime; I'm sure that the only way to get a dog
will be from one of these operations.

  Cindy
Norma Ramey <gsdramey@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  Thanks Ginger for sharing. This lady is a busy and good one who
could pass as a Chow --- just kidding. I've loved Chows just as
much as any good purebred dog. I'm writing to ask a question
that may really seem stupid but I'm sorry. Karen adamantly
states several times that she gets her dogs from "Commercial
Breeders"!! Please identify a Commercial Breeder for me.
TIA It's me, Norma the general every day farm woman who
had real dogs and never did anything"Commercial" I'd never
have that many to be Commercial as I thought that was a business.
I also thought to be commercial and a business you'd need to
be "large" --- ??? I'm lost here if she's an Ok person I'd like
to feel better about the "commercial breeding stuff.
Ya'll can answer in private so the list isn't messed up with my
stupid stuff here. Norma no L

Cindy
www.cinosamgsd.com