[ SHOWGSD-L ] Just when you thought it was safe to go back in to the water with all those "fish!"

  • From: Barbara Galasso <uwish@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'Showgsd-l' <Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:39:44 -0400

Well for the last few days some of the different lists have been talking
about flea and tick preventatives and the toxicity of some of them.
Some of us are looking for natural remedies now to help with these
pests.  Unfortunately, nothing seems like it's guaranteed to help if you
take them off of the topical solutions.  And how about those dog foods
that have ethoxyquin in them?  For those who may not know ethoxyquin is
a preservative that many of the food companies use when they list fish
as one of their ingredients.  I just got off the telephone with the
makers of "Taste of the Wild" dog food.  They were very generous to send
me a large amount of sample size bags which I received last week.  The
ingredients looked great and I've read some of the breeders reviews on
these lists who really liked it for their dogs.  So I mixed it with my
other dog food.  The dogs liked it (but then again, they like anything
labeled as food).  Just today on several forums,  I've read that they
use ethoxyquin in their fish products.  In fact they're not alone, the
majority of dog food companies do.....and it's legal.  It's something to
be very concerned about as much discussion surrounds this ingredient
where cancer is concerned.   Now one has to be careful if you talk or
write to these dog food companies how you ask them questions but more
importantly pay close attention to how they answer you.  The lady at
this company was very pleasant as she read me the statement from the
company.  She said that they do not use ethoxyquin as a preservative in
their products.  And you know what......she's being honest.....THEY
probably do not.   HOWEVER, the place that they buy their fish from
does!!  The majority of the time ethoxyquin is what they perserve the
fish with before they ship it to the dog food manufacturer.  So you
might have felt confident after the dog food company tells you they
don't use it........but don't be fooled.  Someone else is using it.  So
does anyone know where we can find a list of dry dog food companies that
DON'T use this ingredient?  I've searched high and low on the web to no
avail.  What a nightmare......worry about the poisons we put on our dogs
and the poisons we put in their bodies.   Damn, I should be as concerned
about what I use for myself!   Best wishes,  Barbara