[ SHOWGSD-L ] Just one day....

  • From: "Peggy" <pmick12@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:31:04 -0500

What is a day? There are many ways to answer that question. A day is 24 hours.
A day is how we measure how much time we spend at work. A day can be something
we look forward to, a celebration of some kind. But in U.S. animal shelters, a
day represents 10,411 lives needlessly lost. To most people, June 11 is Just
One Day. But, June 11 is a day that could change everything for 10,411
companion animals, and a day that can change the world. On June 11, 2012, we
could be a No Kill nation. We are asking animal shelters across the USA to take
a pledge not to kill any savable animals on June 11, 2012. For Just One Day,
"Euthanasia Technicians" will put down their syringes and pick up cameras.
Instead of injecting animals with lethal doses of sodium pentobarbital, they
will photograph them and post them on the Internet, on Facebook, on Twitter. On
June 11, 2012, they will market their animals to the public, they will reach
out to rescue groups, they will host adoption events with discounted rates,
they will stay open for extended hours, and they will ask their communities to
help them empty the shelter the good way. Instead of going into body bags in
freezers, the animals will go out the front door in the loving arms of
families. At the end of the day, the shelters will be emptier than when the day
started. And, no one will have had to die in order to make that happen. To help
them succeed, the No Kill Advocacy Center and Animal Wise Radio are teaming up
to offer shelters the tools they need to be successful. We have a model press
release and promotion plan. We have a guide to adopting your way out of
killing. We have adoption promotion posters. And so much more, all sent free of
charge to those organizations that take the pledge. On average, if each animal
shelter in the USA adopted out or transferred to rescue groups an extra three
animals on June 11, the USA can become a no kill nation. And if we can do it
then, we can also do it on June 12 for Just Another Day. . .
shared by Peggy