[ SHOWGSD-L ] Just need to vent ...

  • From: Wasatchgld@xxxxxxx
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 21:42:34 EST

It was adoption day at Petsmart.  I'd stopped in to buy dog food and  took
my 4 month old pup with me.   Several people stopped to make a  fuss over
him and tell me about the GSD's they had or used to have, and ask
a few questions.  Then one mentioned they'd seen some GSD puppies
at the other side of the store (and asked if I was there looking for  someone
to adopt mine - fat chance, LOL!).  Out of curiousity, I decided to  go
look at these babies.  I saw four pups that looked about 5 weeks  old
in an ex-pen.  They were with a representative from Heaven's  Gate,
a local no kill shelter.  Surprised that such tiny pups were there,  I
asked him, "How old are these - 6 or 7 weeks?".  I was hoping  they
were at least fully weaned.  He replied, "No, they're 10 weeks  old."

I was stunned, but still trying to understand, I asked, were they
from a really large litter?  No - this was the whole litter.  Was  the
mother sick or did she die? Why were such little babies up for
adoption?  Finally he started to explain (clearly a bit upset  himself
at the situation).  He told me they had been called the previous
week by the owners.  They wanted him to come and get the pups
because they hadn't been able to sell them.  He did tell me that
he required they to spay and nueter the parents as a condition
for taking the pups.  He said they told him the parents were
law enforcement dogs.  When I asked if they were both working
police dogs - he clarified that when he questioned them, they
admitted that the mother had some on her pedigree.  I think
From the size of the pups, I',m guessing they were not
fed anything other than what their poor mother was able to
provide.  The shelter rep implied they hadn't been given any
shots, either.

Seeing wonderful pets up for adoption - usually through no
fault of their own, always breaks my heart.  But situations like
this leave me sick at heart!   I'm hoping that Heaven's  Gate
has or will follow up to make sure these idiots NEVER breed
those dogs again.  I'm a little worried that the parents
may be destined for a shelter as well, now that their owners
have learned that breeding GSD's isn't the quick and easy
path to wealth that they thought they were!

Janice