[ SHOWGSD-L ] Judges of Merit

  • From: ELG440@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2012 16:30:44 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 8/8/12 1:08:24 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
michel@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

A key  criteria should be:  How comfortable with GSDs is the judge?.
I  have seen some all breed judges who stand back 1-2 feet away from the
dog
so the handler can open the mouth for teeth insjpections.  Same  judges look
very ackward doing the temperatment portion of the  activity.  These would
disqualify the judge, in my  mind.

I was at an all-breed show early on to show Summer how to show in a small
ring and at an all-breed show.

I was standing about two feet away when the judge asked Summer where her
mother was?  Then she asked if Kirk was her dog?

I then saw her walk over  to the ring steward and tell him if the dog
attacked her to grab the little girl and the judge would grab the   dog.

I explained to Summer after the show that you can run into judges like
this. Had I not been there, that could discourage a young handler, or even some
 old ones.

We didn't show again at an all-breed for two years when there was a
shepherd judge on the slate. She gave Summer/Kirk Best of Breed, and Group
one.
But, that memory of what happened when Summer was nine will never  leave us.

Evan L.  Ginsburg
Asgard German Shepherds
http://www.asgardgsd.com/
Where Type Movement and  Temperament come  together