[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: Ivomec

  • From: "juel" <juel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 20:14:15 -0500

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: RihadinK9@xxxxxxx
  It  could be the problem with the Aussies is a genetic sensitivity to
Ivermectin.  There is one in Collies, probably Shelties.  It is  distinctly
possible in Aussies as well.
It is also in GSD's!
Not quite AS prevalent as in Collies/Shelties/Aussies, but it IS there. I am
participating in a study with the University of California/Davis testing dogs
for this MDR1 Genotyping which is responsible for the ivermectin sensitivity.
The dog can carry one or both alleles for the gene. If they carry one (we call
them mutant/normal) they could POSSIBLY have some sensitivity to it. If they
carry BOTH (called mutant/mutant) alleles they are usually extremely sensitive
to it and it can be lethal! I am waiting for more dogs to be tested to hear
what percentages we are looking at for prevalence in GSD's.

Explanation of test results:

Mutant/Mutant- These dogs carry the mutation and can not pass on a normal gene
to their offspring.  These dogs would be expected to experience toxicity after
normal doses of loperamide (Imodium(r)), and some anticancer drugs, and high
doses of ivermectin (greater than 50 micrograms per kilogram).

Mutant/Normal- These dogs carry the mutation and may pass on the mutant gene to
their offspring.  These dogs may experience toxicity after normal doses of
loperamide (Imodium(r)), and some anticancer drugs, and high doses of
ivermectin (greater than 50 micrograms per kilogram).

Normal/Normal- These dogs do not carry the mutation, and will not pass on the
mutation to their offspring.  These dogs would not be expected to experience
unexpected adverse drug reactions to normal doses of ivermectin, loperamide
(Imodium(r)), and some anticancer drugs.

Current list of drugs that have been documented to cause problems:
Ivermectin (Antiparasitic agent)
Loperamide (Imodium(r); over-the-counter antidiarrheal agent)
Doxorubicin (Anticancer agent)
Vincristine (Anticancer agent)
Vinblastine (Anticancer agent)

For more information, please see the following web sites:

http://www.vgl.ucdavis.edu/research/canine/projects/mdr1/

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vcpl/index.asp

Judy in MN