[ SHOWGSD-L ] It Will Never Be The Same

  • From: wendygsd@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Oct 2006 23:17:50 +0000

It is with great sadness that I let you know I said goodbye to my beloved 'CH
Brown Hill's Clean Slate, CD, TC.  Slate was a take charge bitch right up until
the end, and defined the word 'bitch' many times....without ever getting into
REAL trouble.  When she was in the house, she was a tennis ball freak....I
always had a sloppy ball plopped in my lap, or she was always trying to get one
of us to lay down on the floor with her, so she could roll the ball back and
forth with you.  When she was in her kennel, she was either running or playing
with her basketball or jollyball, til she wore her teeth, including canines, to
the gums. Those were the good old days......she was a dog that never stopped.
A couple of years ago, she started to have some spinal problems, and started to
slow down a bit and became a full time house dog.  The last few months, she was
looking extremely stiff, and her front wasn't connected quite right to her
rear, but was always ready for her walks.  I knew
  she h
ad serious spinal problems because she'd been diagnosed with spinal stenosis
about 2 yrs. prior.  Right up through last night, she would tell me when it was
time for her dinner, so when she didn't really want to get up today, didn't
want breakfast and seemed extremely weak, my heart skipped a few beats.  About
six weeks ago, she'd had a similar bout and was found to have a bacterial
infection, and follow-up bloodwork indicated that she probably had a mass
growing somewhere.  I knew I was on borrowed time between that and the
deterioration of her back, but somehow, even then, you are never prepared for
it.  I called the vet and we decided to try treating her with the same
antibiotics as we had six weeks prior, and for a little while, she seemed to
rally, and then she went back to looking miserable and uncomfortable.  I was
devestated to have to make the decision to take her to the vets for the last
time, but I would never trade the last 13 yrs. for anything.  We had spent so m
 uch ti
me together and she had such a brain, that we had a special relationship, even
though I have 4 others who are also much loved for their individual
personalities.  I have to keep reminding myself that she is in a better place
and that I know Froggie (the love of her life), and Yodi (her mentor and hero)
were waiting at the bridge for her and now she's able to run and play again
without pain.  Good bye Slatey....you will always be in my heart, and tell Frog
& Yo that I still miss them terribly.  I'm sorry this is so long, and I'm also
sorry that this is how my close friends had to find out, but I am not up to
talking about it, and would prefer not to for a good while.  Rest in peace
Slatey....I love you baby.
Wendy Luba
Cheeryo GSD's