[ SHOWGSD-L ] Irish setters are not dumb! They just play dumb on TV!! ;)

  • From: Karen C. <kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 13:20:35 -0500

Kimorr@xxxxxxx wrote:=20

>And the dumbest dog is no doubt the Irish Setter.=20

Sorry. I have to take exception to this. Irish (all 4 of the setter
breeds, actually) can be very bright. I won't say outright
"intelligent" in the way we consider our shepherds to be. But any
setter, Irish included, would probably make a fabulous people trainer.
They KNOW how to get what they want and what side their bread is
buttered on. I've had Irish and English and I know this to be true for
both breeds... You have to be very careful when they are puppies or
when actively training them, that they are learning what YOU want them
to. Because things that are learned, whether intentionally or not,
will usually be remembered forever.

Most Irish "play dumb" fabulously! It's in their nature. They are so
gosh darned happy about everything (including just being alive), that
they often appear to be absolutely clueless. Make no mistake. If you
look deep into their eyes, you can see their little minds working.
They are just watching you and figuring out how you tick so they can
get you to do their bidding!  :)

I like my shepherds. But I wouldn't want to be alive with my setters!

Karen C.
Email: kmc@xxxxxxxxxxxx