[ SHOWGSD-L ] Iowa Poultry Association wary of animal rights groups

  • From: stormy435 <stormy435@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 08:36:15 -0700

This might appear off topic, but check the last paragraph.  The poultry and
cattle organizations are seeing that we are all in this together and  joining
in opposition to dog breeding bills.  Our opposition to those bills that affect
THEIR organizations is just as necessary.

Iowa Poultry Association wary of animal rights groups
Friday, March 27, 2009, 3:33 PM

by Ken Anderson

The executive director of the Iowa Poultry Association, Kevin Vinchattle, says
he´s wary of efforts by animal rights group to gain a foothold in the Hawkeye
state.

"You know, we take very good care of our animals and if we don´t take good care
of them, they don´t produce food for human beings-so that´s what our farmers
are all about," says Vinchattle. "So yes, it´s a big issue for us and we want
to be cognizant of what´s going on in Iowa. You look elsewhere at what´s
happened in a few states, we think those are issues we need to keep an eye on."

Vinchattle says he´s watching a bill aimed at the dog breeding industry. As
currently worded, the bill calls for "regulation of commercial establishments
that house animals". The poultry group has registered its opposition to the
bill, as has the Iowa Cattlemen´s Association. The bill has been referred to
the Iowa Senate´s Agriculture Committee.

Related Links:
Link to Iowa Poultry Association web site
--
Stormy Hope
www.carpoc.org