[ SHOWGSD-L ] Interesting obedience question

  • From: Shofar Shepherds <shofar_k9s@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 18:28:39 -0700 (PDT)

You know, dogs are superb at reading our body language.  My dogs quickly
learned that we were going to turn in the direction I was looking. So if your
cousin would look left to make sure the way was clear to turn before turning
and consistently added that cue, I bet her GSD would pick up on it.  Yes, I
know a nasty judge could deduct, but honestly, if the dog's eyes are on her
face and her eyes, not her head, looked left, the dog could tell.

Reminds me of the time I had a 6 month old bitch puppy in Novice B at the Bronx
Armory a long, long time ago. It was her third leg and everything was going
well.  Except when the judge said, "Call your dog" I called and the place was
so noisy that she wasn't sure she had heard me. Ears were up, she was ready to
come, and I finally thought to smile. That was enough and she came in, getting
her third leg that day.  I think we got a 189, if I recall.  This was the
precious girl I lost to bloat at 2.  Actually, it wasn't the bloat that got
her: it was the vet who wanted to complete his office visits before treating
her. But you have all already heard that story.

My ballot is in the mail. It hasn't been returned.  I hope it gets to where
it's going and that the votes are counted fairly.

Leslye Morrow
Member GSDCA
Shofar Shepherds and Shelties

Building a website is a piece of cake. Yahoo! Small Business gives you all the
tools to get online.