[ SHOWGSD-L ] Interesting Mail & US Mail Info

  • From: WLFHRTGSD@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Oct 2005 01:19:10 EDT

I also got that piece of mail today.  My eye was drawn to the permit --
called an "indecia" in the printing/mailing industry.  All permits are issued
by
the post office that is going to distribute the mailing.  Some companies or
organizations have a lot of prepaid mail and have their own permit numbers, and
may deal directly with the post office.

But when an organization, or even an individual person, wants to do a bulk
mailing it's generally much more efficient (and far less aggravating) to have
the printer/mailing house coordinate the postage & permits.

The permit on the piece of mail being discussed originated in St. Paul,
Minnesota.  You can't just make up a permit number.  And, the money for the
mailing
MUST be in the post office account BEFORE mail is sent out.  The post office
will not "front" the money.  Neither will the printer.

The post office has a very lengthy set of requirements for bulk mailing.
Most are related to size & weight of each piece.  The bar coding contains a lot
of information that is picked up via a scanner as the individual pieces are
processed through the postal system.

I did a pretty good amount of mailings for clients when I was a commercial
print buyer for an ad agency, and also when I was a print buyer for a private
corporation.  Whenever I had a mailing to work on, I always met with the
printer
prior to having artwork completed -- to confirm how each mailing had to be
designed and laid out in order to qualify for the lowest possible bulk mailing
rate.  Or in plain English, I knew the rules, but the printer knew them better
as they dealt with the post office all the time and for me, it was perhaps ten
or twenty percent of my overall project load.

And although I relied on experts at the various printers I worked with, the
final signoff before a piece got printed was mine.  If I missed a typographical
error, or forgot to remove a line of type or add a line of type, it was my
problem. Printers who run jobs without obtaining the buyers final approval tend
to lose a lot of money, and clients, for such an oversight.

I don't know where the Review is printed or mailed from, but I did receive
mine a few days before others started to post that they did or did not get the
August issue yet.  I get mine regular bulk, I don't pay the extra for first
class postage.

Hope no one fell asleep during this brilliant, exciting post on how mailing
permits work!  My dogs did, and now I think I should join them.  On a somewhat
related note, one of my dogs covets envelopes - I had a few people over for
dinner for a family birthday and Jovan took all the envelopes (gently, he acts
like he's carrying an egg in his mouth) and stretched out on them.  He likes
colored envelopes.  He just takes them and makes a pile.  I have no idea WHY he
does this, but it's pretty funny.  Doesn't tear them or shred them, just
collects them and guards them.

Kelly Busse
Wolfheart German Shepherds