[ SHOWGSD-L ] Info for Jim Osterhart's memorial on Thursday Sept 15th

  • From: Medusas Mom <medusasmom1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Germanshepherds4Show@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, TheGSDShowcase@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, CHGermanShepherdShowDogsList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ChGSDs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2011 16:48:34 -0400

Jim Osterhart of Fowlerville Michigan (Drachenfels Shepherds) passed
away on his 70th birthday September 8th from complications of a recent
heart attack,cluster of Strokes,renal failure,heart trouble and gan
green in his foot from diabetes. Jim had been in the hospital for
about 2 months and had just been moved to a rehap nursing home in
Jackson the day before he died.He was facing double amputation of both
legs as well.Jim is survived by his daughter Veronica who is ill and
on the east coast,his dogs,his group of feral cats that he loved
dearly & a few good friends. Jim is at House of Johnson funeral home,
235 w prospect,jackson mi,49203  1-517-783-0100 any contributions in
Jim's name can be made there to help with funeral costs. His memorial
will be Thursday Sept 15th at the House Of Johnson Funeral Home from
4-8pm There will be no service but an open mic eulogy and a memory
book for anyone who wants to share a memory they have of Jim can do so
to be given to his daughter who can not attend.

Jim's situation is a wake up call to remember to check on our friends
who live alone and are in failing health. Jim was found in his
driveway where he suffered the heart attack and first stroke.In
hindsight,knowing he was having foot problems from diabetes,I wish I
had stayed on him more to go to the dr.and kept in closer contact with
him.  Its also a harsh reminder that we should have in place a plan
for what is to become of our dogs  and other animals if something were
to suddenly happen to us. Jim left 7 dogs that we were scurrying to
get out of the pound and find fosters for.And we are still feeding the
colony of feral cats and kittens he provided for and adored. Any
donations for cat food are welcome as we have decided to continue to
provide for his few remaining cats we could not live trap or rehome.
Also,keep animal and personal records and wishes in a place someone
knows where they are.We have had a very hard time finding all of his
paperwork and notifying friends.

Thanks Betty and Tim McDermott for stepping up and making sure that
things were taken care of and for all the time spent running to and
from Jim's house and the hospital and nursing home.We will Miss lots
about Jim he was a unique friend with a kind heart. I hope many of us
take something away from his loss and make sure we are prepared for
the future. Godspeed Jim

Medusasmom...Forever
Tami