[ SHOWGSD-L ] In Memory of Jag (long)

  • From: GrnRam415@xxxxxxx
  • To: Showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:08:19 EDT

Re: Missing Golden Retriever
----- Original Message -----
From: Rowbotham, Maureen R

Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2005 1:42 PM
Subject: In Memory of Jag - from a member of the GRCGLA

Some of you may or may not know me, but I'm a member of our club, the
GRCGLA.

Many of you may have been following the saga of Jag (CH Lexxus'
Wyndstar's to Remember, SDHF).

Jag was reported missing by his handler on May 31st at Lake Shawnee, KS.
He was also not shown the last three days of the Shawnee, OK shows. His
handler told the media that he ran away after she fell off her bike at
Lake Shawnee on May 31st. The handlers left the following day for shows.
They did not stay and look for Jag. There were never any reported
sightings of Jag anywhere. Obviously the inconsistencies in the story
led myself and many others to question what happened to Jag.

By not coming forward and telling Janis and Teddy (owners) what really
happened to Jag, they have put both of them and many others through
extreme heartache and duress for almost 2 months.

On Monday, July 25th, Janis and Teddy filed a petition against Denny and
Audra Snyder for negligence in excess of $75,000. They are requesting a
jury trial.

Below is an excerpt of the counts, by following the link and typing in
the case number, the entire petition is available:

A petition was filed on Monday, July 25, 2005 in the District Court of
Shawnee County, Kansas
Teddy Baxter and Janis Fonceca, Plaintiffs, vs. Denny Snyder and Audra
Snyder, Defendants.
<http://kdciwww.shawneecourt.org:8090/ows-bin/KDCI_WEB/owa/core.selectMo
de?doRetrieve.x=115&doRetrieve.y=48>
Submit case: 05C 000928
Count 3, 15-22
15. Plaintiffs' representatives have obtained notarized statements from
witnesses who have stated that on May 28, three days before Defendant
Audra Snyder reported that Jag had escaped while she was exercising him,
the witnesses saw Jag at a dog show in Shawnee, Oklahoma, a show at
which Defendants had agreed to show Jag for four days, in exchange for
being paid by Plaintiffs for showing Jag.
16. One witness reports that as the witness passed the Defendants'
trailer at the dog show, the witness saw a Golden Retriever hanging from
a noose.
17. The witness reported that the witness saw Jag hanging off the
grooming table with the dog's neck in a noose.
18. The witness removed the noose from Jag and Jag dropped to the floor
and was laying on the floor of the trailer, lifeless.
19. The witness ran out of the trailer to the show ring where Defendant
Denny Snyder was showing another dog and told him that he "had a dog
down and I don't think he is alive."
20. According to the witness, Defendant Denny Snyder ran to the trailer
to check on Jag.
21. At about that time, Defendant Audra Snyder came to where the witness
was and was told by the witness that Jag was hanging lifeless from the
noose and that the witness thought Jag was dead.
22. The witness never saw Jag alive again.

The email below may be difficult to read but anyone who cares about
their dog when out on the road should read it.

From:    Cathleen Smith <elangoldens@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Death of Right and Wrong: Jag

My Death of Right and Wrong post to W_G: who knew how prophetic this
title
would prove to be.  It originated from the book I quoted regarding
political
correctness and its effect on our society and the inability to make
judgments regarding moral behavior.  Well, this certainly proved to be
an
opportunity to show true character.  I originally wrote that I felt it
was
wrong for the Snyders to leave the site of the alleged loss of Jag and
to go
on to the Colorado shows without staying to coordinate a search effort
or
leaving someone in their stead to do so.  With the facts that came to
light
today, it is clear that there were many opportunities for the Snyders to

make tough but moral decisions regarding their actions.  It is true that

what happened to Jag was a terrible accident.  No one can deny that,
although a basic of Dog 101 would  state  that a dog should never be
left
unattended  on a grooming table and one could construe negligence.  The
reality is that it is a common practice at shows and all of us have seen

unattended dogs on numerous occasions.  Unfortunately, the accident is
not
the only tragedy in this scenario.  The Snyders had a responsibility for
the
care and wellbeing of Jag.  They were responsible for an accident to
this
dog.  Again, it is their actions after the fact that show a lack of
moral
character.  In my heart I truly believe that while people would have
been
upset and heartbroken by this situation,  there would have been a
measure of
understanding that it was an accident that could have happened to any of
us
- perhaps not this specific thing but we have all had close calls that
we
were lucky enough not to have had to pay for.  What I find
unconscionable in
this situation is:
1. The Snyders deliberately went to great lengths to cover up their
liability and responsibility for Jag's accident.  They lied about where,

when and how he was lost.
2. They showed no regard for the time, effort, and money spent by the
co-owners and searchers.  They allowed this search to go on for many
weeks
and in the wrong place to hide their culpability.
3. They lied about the many sightings of Jag and went so far as to claim

that he had been caught and then got away again.
4. They had the gall to badmouth this dog at later shows and say that he
was
"psycho."
5. Audra had the nerve to complain to a show chairman about the "lost
dog"
flyers and insist that they be taken down.
6. Audra had the audacity to file a complaint with AKC against Nickie
Hertzog, her daughter (who was in no way involved in the search),  Dee
Dee
Rose, and Teddy Baxter for their involvement in the search for Jag.
7. And absolutely the worst thing of all,  the Snyders allowed Janis and
Teddy to
spend almost two months agonizing over what happened to their dog.

At every twist and turn of this story there were opportunities for these

two individuals  to show true compassion,  decency, and moral
accountability.  They never rose to that challenge, and I think it's
just
WRONG.

As we all know at this point - Jag is still missing. We also know that
there are differing accounts of the chain of events that lead to his
disappearance. Unfortunately, it is only thru the legal system of this
country that Janis and Teddy, Jag's owners, will have some closure and
answers to why Jag never came home.

Even though this tragic chain of events involved a certain Golden named
Jag  - this could involve any dog of any breed being shown at any event
in this country. I believe - and urge you to believe - that this
horrible unfortunate incident has given the dog fancy an opportunity to
do something positive to make sure this will not happen again.

I am asking that all people in all breeds support the owner's efforts to
discover the truth by donating whatever funds your family is comfortable
with to the Jag Legal & Investigation Fund (JLAIF). You can find more
info at http://www.jagcomehome.com/ . It's easy to donate; PayPal even!

If you are a person who can write out a check - please do so. If not,
you still can help a lot more than you might think! The next litter that
you whelp, set aside $10.00 per puppy and donate it to the JLAIF. When
your stud muffin is used, donate 10% of his stud fee as well. You may
not think that $50.00 here or $80.00 there will make a difference, but
it will!! This list alone carries enough people to make a difference if
we all only donated $20.00 each.

We cannot not let Jag's disappearance be in vain. Let this tragic
incident pave the way to better conditions for the dogs that participate
in all avenues of AKC sports. By filing this suit - it will provide
answers to the unanswered questions, it will provide proof beyond a
reasonable doubt - it will secure justice for the animals that we all
love and cherish. Hopefully, there will be new changes in AKC
regulations to ensure that the safety of dogs at AKC events is to be
taken seriously. And more importantly, hopefully it will allow Jag's
disappearance to be more than just a Golden that no one ever saw again.

Please help. Do it for Jag, do it for his owners, do it for YOUR own
dogs. Make a pledge now for any amount and then add donations when you
have a litter or your stud dog is used, or your dog gets a new title, or
it's your birthday or your dog's birthday or just because you care. We
all own a Jag, have loved a Jag, have seen a Jag standing unattended on
a grooming table. You can help to make positive changes.

In addition, a petition regarding leaving dogs unattended on grooming
tables is available for signature:
http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/jag

Lastly the poem I posted to Work_Gold on the day the petition was filed.
It has been my custom to ensure our boy Jag was not forgotten - by
posting poems, writings daily to Work_Gold:

Godspeed Jag - I hope it's beautiful on the other side of the bridge.

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of JAG and his beautiful soul.

William Shakespeare

Please donate to the Jag Legal and Investigation Fund
(http://www.jagcomehome.com/fundraisers.htm).

Thank you...

Maureen Rowbotham :-)
CH Sungate's Golden California (Tyler)