[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: If not a shepherd...the last of our Elkies

  • From: Sandra Kozub <skozub@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 09:38:47 -0500

My first German Shepherd in the home was when my father brought a German
Shepherd
home with him when he returned from World War 2.   Very seldom in my entire
life have I
ever been without this breed in my life.    We started showing the
Shepherds in Obedience
in the mid 70's, Conformation in the late 70's.   In 1979 we purchased a
"pet" Norwegian
Elkhound & a few years later a "show" puppy.   We finished many very nice
Elkies until
we stopped breeding & showing in the late 90's.   They are a sweet (if
stubborn) breed
& I obviously loved them - never comparing them to my shepherds.   I also
was able to
show them myself which was fun.     However - there is no other dog
comparable to our
German Shepherds.   We do not now show nor breed them
either.   Unfortunately, most of
them are getting up in age & we have lost many of them in the last few years.

We are very upset today as we lost our last Norwegian Elkhound, she was
nearly 15 & until
the last couple of months a healthy, happy girl.   Losing her is not at all
easy but it also marks
a sort of end of an era - no more Elkies in our family.   We still have 7
shepherds - all but two
are from 8-11 years of age.   We will always have the shepherds in our
family - as I said earlier,
(IMO) this is no other breed comparible to the German Shepherd Dog.

Rest in peace Locket...................

Sandy

At 09:28 PM 5/7/2010 -0400, you wrote:
>if not a German Shepherd.....then a poodle....we love the ones we've had
>before, and are looking forward to the next one....
>
>when it comes to brain, having GSD's and Poodles is like having the best of
>  dogdom....
>
>having said that, I know a lady with a GSD/Standard Poodle mix.....and the
>sorry thing is as dumb as a door knob.....LOL
>
>Ileana

Sandra Kozub
KcK Kennels
http://iweb.tntech.edu/rkozub/kennel.htm