[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: If not a GS, then what? sorry long, nostalgia.

  • From: "Beryl Eshom" <arelee_1020@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Dave Fritsche" <d_fritsche@xxxxxxxxxx>, <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 21:37:04 -0800

    Loved it Dave! I haven't responded to this thread, because I have always
  had a GSD, well actually only since I was married and had a part in that
  decision. I often think what breed I might want, when my last GSD is gone.
  really don't know. I guess time will tell, as I don't think I could ever
be
  'DOGLESS'.
    I don't know if I can find a dog that will really measure up to all the
  wonderful GSD I have owned.
    There was a GSD in my life or my family's life when I was to young to
  remember. Being the youngest of 6, and my sister nearest my age was 8
years
  older(does that make me an afterthought?) Everyone in the family always
  talked about the German Shepherd that saved the family from a transient
who
  had stopped by to see if he could do some work for a meal. My Mom being
the
  good and kind person that she was said she would fix him a meal, and bring
  it to the back porch, if he would weed a section of the garden. The story
  goes, that when my mother went to give him his food, he tried to force his
  way in, and the family dog (GSD) stopped him in his tracks, as he met him
  eye to eye as he jumped between him and my mother.
    I don't remember it, and actually I am not sure if it happened before or
  after I was born. I just remember the family always talking about the
  wonderful dog they called "Pat."  They related that story often, to anyone
  who would listen. He was protective, heroic, and yet trust worthy with the
  children and the other critters they had that provided the eggs, meat,milk
  etc. for this Idaho family.
    The first dog that my husband Russ and I bought as newlyweds was a
German
  Shepherd  Collie cross. My husbands aunt had neighbors who one owned a
  Collie and another one owned a GSD. We named that dog Pat, and he looked
  like a smooth collie with erect ears. He was wonderful, and as we began a
  family he would watch over them as babies and toddlers. He loved and
  protected all of us for more than 12 years.
    Of course no one would have to guess what our next dog was. We began
  looking for a German Shepherd in 1964, and there has been one or more in
my
  life since that time. We didn't know much about what to look for or
  pedigree's but he was an Alert of Mi-Noah grandson and also a cryptorchid.
  He earned a CDX, and we went from obedience with him to seeking a better
dog
  in 1967. We bought a young female, who became our first Champion and our
  foundation bitch.

    Beryl Eshom
    Arelee GSD (Arelee, BTW was my husbands initials R L E.)
    Davis, CA.