[ SHOWGSD-L ] If not a GS, LHASA!!!

  • From: "The Crystal Crow" <thecrystalcrow@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 17:05:06 -0500

We've owned all types of dogs-let me see if I can remember: Beagle, Irish
Setter, Basset hound, Lab, Husky mix, Doberman, Afghan Hound and of course
GSDs. When I was younger, we had a landlady that had a Great Dane, an
English Sheepdog, and a GSD that I particularly loved. This dog terrified
everybody, and I would sleep in his doghouse-I think I was about 5 or so at
the time (Mom would know).

Right now I have a gorgeous little seven month old Lhasa Apso puppy named
Terra Nova, and I would love to have more of these dogs. I love the
grooming! (I must be mentally ill or something.) The grooming table has
become a permanent fixture in my dining room, and I keep a comb on my
nightstand to comb her out every evening. She has a "big dog" personality,
and her temperament is outstanding. She is "scarey smart", and you can see
the wheels turning when she's thinking about something. She has been the
fastest dog to housetrain that I have ever seen. Once she "got it" I haven't
had to worry about her going in the house ever again. She's food motivated,
which is great, since she is so intelligent that rewarding wanted behavior
is the way to go. She understands a plain "No" in a normal voice-no need to
put on the "correction voice' as with other dogs.

She and Eagle get along like a house afire, and they spend the hour or so
after dinner running through the house playing with each other. Terra
usually ends up being covered in GSD spit-hilarious!

I never have really liked small dogs, but this breed seems to have all of
the "big dog" traits that I love in a smaller package.

I actually called Mom before I bought her to ask if she thought I was crazy
to want a small dog. I thought I'd hear something like "What the hell do you
want THAT for?", but what I DID hear was "Go back and GET THAT PUPPY.".

Thanks, Mom. Now I have two to love.

Kristal