[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: IMO...Iadmit a mistake & ACT

  • From: Theresa-GSD Stolz-Scenecrest Farm <scenecrest.geo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, showgsd <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 12:42:46 -0800 (PST)

Excellent post Carolyn...

It seems what is important to one another disagrees. I see no positive
of wasting time to allow a DQ fault to be accepted now.  The GSD
Standard was changed and put into place for a reason years ago.
What really has changed except to say give a inch take a mile.

Years ago white was looked as a undesirable fault today it
is accepted as so many breed for a white GSD.  However,
anytime the AKC approves a GSD with a undesirable fault of
a off color there are those that will stretch that to register
a Panda-Piebald as a blue, black and tan, etc. with white markings.

Allowing the members of working dogs to be accepted would be a plus
as they come with the experience to know of what to look for in a stable
dog.  It is all in a dogs eyes as fear and being insecure shows to those
that know what to look for and the working owners and trainers do.
I do believe there are too many that do not know that certain traits can
be hidden by a good handler at a Dog Show but not the case in a working
dog.

Theresa

On Tue, 2/25/14, Carolyn Martello <marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 We've wasted a year or so trying to
 encourage a DQ fault to be brought
 into the Club.. as..not a DQ, and a couple of years adding
 classes and
 more classes for one of the actual Standard faults, and a
 couple of years
 of time and expense incorporating a whole other Futurity
 Venue just for
 those that do not want to be in a class with a Professional
 handler ....
 unless of course they WIN that Class...THEN they can HIRE a
 Pro. Handler!
 <G>
 Why be concerned about a dog that is trained to do bite work
 on command
 AND CALLED OFF on COMMAND?   Consider the
 intense training and testing
 these dogs and trainers go through?
 Most of us at a dog show have seen the fear in the eyes of a
 GSD that we
 KNOW would attempt to bite the judge if the handler didn't
 have 'cast iron'
 hands.  Consider...these hard working people that spend
 HOURS and MILES
 working to train their dogs should be ENCOURAGED to join the
 GSDCA, Inc.
 Possibly these same people can help research and possibly
 work to help
 develop a program that we can develop into one of the venues
 at our
 National.
 Once many thought herding couldn't be
 done.   Now it has a life of its own
 and has many MANY hard working people that herd with their
 dogs, train their

 dogs to herd..earn many Awards herding their dogs...AND...
 they work their
 tail off to put on a Herding Trial that is a big part of our
 National and
 our National Awards system.   Often out in
 the rain and elements...no
 complaining...just a lot of hard work that involves lots of
 space, pens,
 sheep, hauling sheep, and other non competing trained dogs
 to help...
 The same has been going on for many many years with hard
 working Obedience
 people that work very hard to put on these Venue's at the
 National.
 The Conformation people spend their time in that venue....a
 chosen few in
 all three.
 Seems to me we have room under the 'UMBRELLA' of this Club
 to welcome and
 bring IN the working dog people to try to "Bridge the Gap"
 between them and
 the show people.
 It's time we worked together....or at least try to SEE if it
 can be done.
 I know the Board is busy and has their hands full...but all
 this needs to be

 considered at THIS TIME...with the problems we are having
 with the WDA Org.

 There IS NO EXPENSE to having these people join our
 Club!
 Their venue likely won't cost more than hauling in
 sheep..renting ranch
 facilities, etc.... or the building requirements for
 Obedience.
 I assume they would support their own venue...and could be a
 few days before

 our National much like Herding.
 After all the effort to bring back the white breeders and
 the extra classes
 with long coats and set up a venue for exhibitors who don't
 want to be in a
 class with handlers...??   Why 'no'  to
 a highly trained working dog??

 They could start small....maybe like hosting something like
 a "Testing
 Match"
 the first year..small test for a small fee....so they could
 see if they got
 enough reaction and support from people with their dogs
 wanting them tested
 to see if they could even DO the work.  Maybe host a
 'training Seminar'.
 Might be SURPRISED how many "show people"  would test
 the waters...<G>
 It will take time...but first we have to decide to make the
 effort and begin
 some
 dialogue with the WDA people....IF INDEED they really are
 discouraged and
 READY.

 Carolyn  marhaven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 www.marhaven.com