[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I have a GSDCA membership question

  • From: Kmgraphic2@xxxxxxx
  • To: stormygsd@xxxxxxx, showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 12:39:37 EDT

In a message dated 8/12/07 4:20:17 PM !!!First Boot!!!, stormygsd@xxxxxxx
writes:

> "Why do you belong to the GSDCA?"

i can only answer this one for myself.  i first joined the gsdca in 1983 and,
with the exception of a few year absence due to divorce, am still a current
member.  it was VERY important to me that i rejoin for the following reasons:
1.  i have always loved the gsd and consider myself, as i think all breeders
should, to be a student of the breed.  there is always something new to be
learned and, as a member of the gsdca, i receive the review and have access to
the blue book and the red book as well as other publications which help keep me
up to date on current issues facing the breed.
2.  as in any hobby, one tends to want to be surrounded by people with
similar interests.  the gsdca, whether its membership is 100 or 10,000, is a
collective group of people who are interested in the gsd.  please don't think i
am
naive enough to assume that membership automatically implies interest.  i have
met fellow members who really have no interest or desire in educating
themselves about the german shepherd.  as well as i know why i belong to the
parent
club, i am at a loss as to why they do.  those are not the people for whom i
belong.
3.  longevity and attrition.  again, as in any "interest" group, there are
those from whom we may always glean knowledge.  i have been breeding and
exhibiting for 25+ years and am always happy to share my successes, knowledge
and/or
experience when asked.  at the same time, there are a number of people who
have been in this "sport" for far more years than i have and i continue to
question and learn from them.  it is a never-ending process.

bottom line, it's a club - there are good people and bad, good times and bad.
 if you stick around long enough, you can easily recognize one or the other
even if bad situations might sometimes cloud the issue.  those whose interest
is not real and whose knowledge is intentionally limited will fal by the
wayside. i treasure my membership just as much as i treasure the selects, roms
etc.
awards i have received from the gsdca because of my membership.
jmo, diane
Diane Strasser
Silstra German Shepherds
"In dog years I'm dead." - Author unknown

<BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Get a sneak peek of the
all-new AOL at
http://discover.aol.com/memed/aolcom30tour</HTML>