[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: I am ver worried pregnant bitch

  • From: "Rebecca Little" <pbgs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <cmill189@xxxxxxx>, "freelist" <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jan 2010 22:42:15 -0500

I cannot imagine she has pneumonia. Maybe they are big pups..Tula sounded
AWEFUL when the poor thing was trying to breath with 10 babies in there
while attempting to lay down...She was only comfortable standing or sitting
too..your girl is nearing the end its no picnic with all those in there! She
sounds to me like a normal mom with a big litter. These are symptoms of
canine pneumonia
- Frequent cough with mucous secretions
- Difficulty breathing
- Wheezing or panting
- Nasal discharge (not a common symptom)
- Fever (in only 50% of cases)
- Lethargic Behavior
- Loss of appetite
- Refusal to drink/dehydration
a normal healthy dog will not easily get aspiration pneumonia UNLESS she was
throwing up on her back or was unconcious during throwing up i highly doubt
thats the case. The only other usual cases of aspiration are in dogs with
Mega or other similar issues.
a.. Oropharyngeal (mouth and throat) disorders

a.. Cleft palate

a.. Diseases of the larynx or laryngeal surgery

a.. Brachycephalic syndrome – upper airway obstruction that occurs in short
nosed breeds of dogs

a.. Esophageal disorders, such as esophageal obstruction from foreign bodies
or masses, inflammation of the esophagus, or paralysis and enlargement of
the esophagus (megaesophagus)

a.. Polyneuropathy – a dysfunction of many different nerves

a.. Polymyopathy – an inflammatory or immune disorder of the muscles

a.. Decreased mentation or alertness causing a decrease in the swallowing
reflex, caused by general anesthesia, sedation, head trauma, or a seizure

a.. Accidental administration of medications, fluids, or foodstuffs into the
wind pipe rather than the esophagus, especially during force feeding or tube
feeding

a.. Vomiting, especially chronic vomiting

Rebecca Little
Peakes Brook German Shepherds
http://www.peakesbrookshepherds.com/